four. pacifier

"yes, he's okay." delilah nods her head at the older man on the screen, king sat between her legs as they rested against the couch. he was in his own world drawing a tree.

"has he behaved?" marcus asks, raising his eyebrows at the boy who smirked at the question. delilah snickers.

"he's had his moments" she laughed, marcus' chuckle followed. delilah ruffles the boys hair, and he moves towards her hand.

"any plans for today?" he questions the two, and king pipes up.

"lilah gona take me to the park dad! n we gon pick mushrooms for pizza!" he squeals into the laptop's microphone, delilah pulling him away from the computer and further onto her lap.

"someone's excited" she chuckles and rests her arms on his sides. king mumbles something inaudible and continues his art.

#

"king, put the mushrooms down in the colander" delilah scolds the boy who was eating the mushrooms raw and unwashed. he sticks his tongue out at the elder and carefully puts them down.

"dad does it all the time" king huffs and pulls a wooden chair from under the table, sitting down and pulling his legs up against his chest.

"your dad is grown! you're just a little boy!" delilah coos at the boy. she could tell something was bothering him. he had been awfully fussy all day and delilah didn't know how to confront the problem.

"hey, king, come to lilah, yeah?" delilah pats her lap and takes a seat next to where he's sat.

she watches as his bottom lip begins to tremble, and he jumps from his seat and into her arms- almost dramatically.

"oh, hush baby boy! you're okay, aren't ya? lilah's got you pretty boy!" she embraces him and whispers into his ear, his sobs and trembled hurting her to the core. she hated seeing the boy so distressed.

"king, will you tell me what's wrong?" she asked, pulling away a bit to look him in the eyes.

"miss dad!" he lets out a sob at that, and shoves his head back into the woman's chest.

"oh, my love, it's okay, you'll see him soon, i promise" she runs her fingers through his golden locks to calm him.

"king, how would you like to run to the store with me? ill get you a treat?" delilah asks the boy, a plan in mind.

king loves the store, and so delilah knew he wouldnt refuse.

#

delilah pulls king out of his booster car seat, placing him onto the floor and fixing his beige overalls.

"hold my hand the entire time, okay? big stores are no place for a wandering little king" delilah books the little boy's nose, and he giggles at her.

"yes ma'am" he salutes, smiling at the slightly taller woman, grabbing her hand as they begin to walk towards the large walmart.

as they entered, delilah permitted king to grab his favourite snacks, blueberries, as well as a small lollipop. they were in the first aisle and king was ecstatic to find that they were both blueberry- the lollipop being blueberry flavoured.

"what next, lilah?" king questions, and delilah leads him to a section king didn't recognise, the baby section.

so many things caught the little boy's eye, the elephant stuffed toy was calling to him as well as the kangaroo, and the dinosaur-

"king, pick one of these sets" delilah held two packs of pacifiers in front of the boy. he didn't understand what they were but nonetheless he picked the plain packet with a brown, white and green pacifier set, all with matching clips.

delilah had planned to pick these up to help with when king was feeling extra emotional. she had experience with previous littles that pacifiers helped soothe them, and that's what he needed right now.

she also picked up a matching set of baby bottles- just in case.

"pick a toy, king" delilah says after watching king eyeing the toys along the aisle wall. she couldn't let him leave without one, now that would just be downright cruel!

"uh-uh otay! otay!" king giggles and skips over to the wooden toys, coloured letter blocks catching his eye.

king picks them up and admires them for a minute, before holding them out to delilah in confirmation. "wan 'is" he giggles at her.

"okay baby, let's go pay, yes?" she grabs his hand once more and leads him to the self-service checkout, checking out their items and leaving.

#

"king sit still, i need to buckle you in" delilah groans at the boy who wouldn't stop moving, a tantrum brewing in the small boy. he had been told no to going to the park across the street from the store, and he didn't take it lightly.

delilah suddenly had an idea, the pacifiers! she pulled them out of her purse and opened the packet, grabbing the brown one and placing it warily into the boy's mouth, unsure of how he would react.

to her delight, he took to it right away, settling down as he suckled on the brown plastic, letting her buckle him in and sit in the drivers seat.

delilah knew that when she got home she would replace the baby-size pacifier nipples with adult ones she had at home for emergencies, but it was okay for now. he seemed to have taken a liking to the object.