2 Normal day with Alice

A cop was hiding in Alice's house? The cop must have heard me shout "Alice" and hid until we walked together down the stairs. What do we do now? We have no reason to be here; depending on what we say or do now we could end up arrested or even dead. And what if Alice has a gun in her backpack and she's waiting to use it... I don't want to kill a cop...

The cop looked agitated but he spoke in a calm voice, "I'm here to investigate the murder of --

"A murder?!" Alice exclaimed. "We know the people who live here.... Are they really dead?"

Apparently we were friends of the family. Her lie could get us out of this mess.

The officer raised his eyebrow but lowered his gun, "I'm sorry but it's a possibility. They've been missing for a couple of days.... Just yesterday the Thompsons, a neighbor, called saying there was a putrid smell coming from this house. I came in yesterday under the grounds to suspect there could be bodies rotting in here but when I came inside there was no smell. My theory is that it was the drainage; it's common for the drainage to smell like that in other areas of the city but here it happens once-in-a-lifetime. So, why are you here?"

"We're family friends. We were worried so our parents told us to come before class..."

"Alright... just to make sure, can you identify this man?" The cop showed us a picture of a fat guy with a scruffy, long beard.

"Yes, that's Payton. I had no idea they could be victims of murder... Who do you think killed the officer?" Alice eloquently said while I stood in silence.

"Hmm..." the officer groomed his mustache. "We'll have to investigate more, check for debts and connections that could've gotten them in trouble."

"Ehh.." I uttered. "I don't think they had problems with debts since they live in a nice house."

"You have a point miss... but you would be surprised... drugs, gambling... and there's still the possibility they escaped somewhere... When I searched the place yesterday we couldn't find their wallets... so, what's your name?"

"I-I'm" -- I stuttered
"I'm Lin Rose, and she's Lana."
I picked myself together, "Y-yes, I'm Lana Edevane."

"I see; but you were still in a crime scene so I'll search you under suspicion of a knife or gun." the cop said.

"Sure," Alice said and handed him our backpacks. I was scared she would do something but she just smiled at me; that smile probably meant "everything will be fine."

The cop searched us and found nothing. He turned to our backpacks and chose mine first. I didn't know why I was so nervous when I knew I had nothing dangerous except scissors. The cop checked until he looked satisfied and closed it.

Alice noticed I was shaking so she grabbed my hand.

The cop opened Alice's backpack, he took everything out and checked every nook and cranny in it, finally, he looked satisfied and said, "I think that's alright. Remember to call us if you think of anything."

"Okayy."

Alice wasn't carrying a gun and we didn't end up killing him. We were lucky he didn't consider scissors a note-worthy weapon or we could've been arrested by now.

"Thank you officer. I think we'll be going now."

We came out the front door and saw the cop walk away.

We were silent for a minute, "What are you going to do now?" I said.
"I'm going to pull the plastic bags out of the river."
"Why?"
"Our prints are still there. Fingerprints can last up to seven years in plastic bags and you need detergent to clean them off."
"Oh I didn't know that... won't they was away with the water?" I asked.
"No. Fingerprints are oil based and oil and water don't go together so I'll have to look for the bodies and properly get rid of them. Actually I was looking for detergent while you mopped but I couldn't find any and then that cop knocked on the door."
"You couldn't find any? But your clothes always smell nice."
"Yeah I've always washed my clothes. Someone probably threw it out or put it somewhere else so I'll have to buy some."
"Oh... can I help you with all that?"
"Don't worry, I'll take care of it..."