Wild Card

Bakugo
10 years ago

Something no one's gonna tell you about having kids is that they're people. No one ever talks about the fact that the baby in your arms is a person- a person of their own. Cause that means you gotta respect who they are and who they choose to be.

I do. The best I can anyway.

I think about that while outside my kids' school. Headset's been working like crazy, so it's my turn. If she burns herself out again, I'm kicking her ass. In any case, this gives me the chance to spend more time with Yuki and Ame.

Pulling my baseball cap down over my head, I try not to chat with the other parents waiting outside. The heat's a bitch and my hair's sweating, but getting recognized's a no-no. Yuki and Ame know I'm a hero. But they need to know it's not my whole life. 

A crooked smile curves my face when I check my watch. They'll be out in two minutes.

"Excuse me?"

I break out of my thoughts about taking my kids to the park and teaching them how to rock climb cause somebody decided to talk to me. Bad idea. Until those two little humans come running out the gate, I'm not in a good mood.

"Hm?" The hum grumbles out my throat, an obligatory frown accompanied with the sound. When I look down there's a woman blinking at me with an ugly fake smile.

"You're Yuki's father, aren't you?"

Oh great. Listen, if Yuki punched her kid that means they either bullied Ame or tried to eat her food. As far as I'm concerned, it's justified.

"Yeah," I keep my arms crossed, raising a brow suspiciously. "What about it?"

The woman chuckles, shaking her head.

"She's a spunky little girl, that one. Always has so much energy."

From her tone, it sounds like she means it, so I relax my shoulders a little. She doesn't try to touch my arm and ask about what it's like being a hero which is reassuring and, by the way, more common than you'd think. (Don't worry, Headset's usually around to shoot overly flirtatious women death stares)

"Trust me," my hand reaches up to the back of my neck. Memories of Yuki being jealous of me whenever her mom and I'd kiss and biting my shin aren't too far gone. "I know."

"You must be proud of her being top of her class already and so young too."

"Tch." Can't help the tsk or the head shake. Why's she sound so impressed!? Of course, she's amazing, she's my kid, why wouldn't she be!? "She's always been smart. If she wasn't kickin ass, I'd be worried."

"Well, your son is just adorable too," Her laugh fades as she looks back at the school, sighing. "Shy little thing though."

Something about the way she says that tips me off the wrong way. I furrow my brows at her.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh nothing," She waves a hand at me, but I caught that change in tone.

It happens all the time when people talk about my kids.

Yuki and Ame are two sides of the same coin.

Yeah, she can be a little too harsh with her classmates. She's so confident she doesn't know when to stop. But she's a beast of a child: fearless and always trying her best. Ame's six now and he still hasn't gotten his quirk. He can't hold a conversation yet either. But he's a gentle soul like his mother: cautious and quiet.

So when someone judges either of them it makes a part of me I'm not comfortable with grow angry. And didn't I already mention I'm not in a good mood!?