Chapter Two

Rainwillow's mind was reeling; how could someone do this to Snowpatch? And why did someone do this? Where could he have possibly been taken? Her heart thumped so rapidly in her chest that she was sure the others could hear it.

"Who in the name of StarClan would have kidnapped him?" Dovetooth questioned, looking around.

Bearpounce turned around to face the patrol, his face twisted with concern. "Now hold on," he mewed, clearly trying to remain calm. "We don't know that he's been taken, there may be another explanation."

Rainwillow snorted contemptuously. "I'd love to hear your suggestions then." She was trying to keep her fur flat, but anger was starting to take hold of her.

I'll tear the fur off whoever took my brother, she silently vowed.

Waspfur stepped forward, a low growl rumbling in her throat. "I say we storm into RiverClan camp and demand to know if they saw anything."

Rainwillow had half a mind to agree with the young she-cat, but held her tongue.

"I don't exactly feel like getting my paws wet," Mudpuddle commented sarcastically.

"Well wait a moment," Bearpounce said, "Waspfur has a point."

Waspfur's amber eyes lit up with pride. "See? I told you we should-"

"But we're not storming into RiverClan," Bearpounce added before Waspfur could finish what she was saying. The grey and black tabby grumbled in annoyance.

Rainwillow nodded. "We can ask them if they saw anything, though," she said, realising what Bearpounce meant.

The deputy dipped his head slightly. "Exactly. We just need to wait for one of their patrols."

"That could take forever!" Waspfur argued. "Snowpatch could be way too far away by then."

Rainwillow realised the tabby she-cat had a point. She looked up at the sky, watching the setting sun for a moment. "It's dusk now, there should be a patrol coming around soon," she pointed out.

"So, we'll wait until we see a patrol, and explain what has happened," Dovetooth meowed. The other four cats nodded in agreement, and they all sat down, waiting for a RiverClan patrol.

As Rainwillow sat there, anxiety began to fill inside her again. She kept thinking of all the different and horrible things that may have happened to Snowpatch, which made her more and more worried every moment.

It felt as though the patrol had been sitting there for a moon by the time Rainwillow noticed movement further up in RiverClan territory. She immediately jumped to her paws, the fur along her spine rising.

"I see a patrol!" she told her Clanmates.

Mudpuddle had already risen to his paws; he must have seen the patrol as well. Bearpounce quickly stood up and stepped right up to the border, patiently waiting for the RiverClan patrol to notice them.

Waspfur rolled her eyes. "Hey fish-eaters!" she yowled.

Rainwillow shot the young she-cat a shocked look. "You do realise we want them to help us, right?"

Waspfur shrugged indifferently. "They hadn't seen us. Now they have. I helped."

Rainwillow shook her head in annoyance, but at least the RiverClan patrol was now approaching the border.

As the patrol came closer, Rainwillow could make out who was in it; Pebbletooth, a grey spotted tom, was in the lead with a black apprentice trotting beside him. Behind them followed Appleblossom and Tigerwing, a young RiverClan tom Rainwillow had recently met for the first time at a Gathering.