8 ~ Dinner Guests

Maizie

Hours into her nap, another servant had the misfortune of attempting to wake the princess. Maizie's head still beat drums against her skull as the servant, eyes downcast and fidgeting in the foyer, muttered that the queen had commanded the princess's presence for dinner.

Maizie groaned in response.

Rays of copper lolled through the cracks of the closed cream curtains. It was nearly sundown and yet Maizie could have sworn she only just closed her eyes.

The servant- who still would not cross the foyer- curtsied once more. The slight wobble in her voice was not missed as she repeated, "My deepest apologies for waking you, Princess, but her Highness has called for you immediately."

Maizie sat up but still did not respond, instead waiting to see if the servant would dare the courage. Wall, floor, bedpost. Not once did her gaze touch Maizie. Well, then.

"Am I not to dress first?" She asked blandly.

Another bow, "Miss Bridgette will assist you."

Of course, because Maizie had already excused her own lady's maid for the day. "So be it," she muttered and fell back into the fluff of her bed.

Understanding her dismissal, the servant stepped out of the room all too willingly and the princess once more began to disappear under the grogginess of sleep.

Until Bridgette's arrival. She could hear the click of the servant's tongue before she was even through the foyer entryway. She beheld one look at Maizie and waved both of her hands in a shooing gesture, not hesitating to tear the sheets away when the princess tried to curl further into them. "Up now, M'lady, we've not much time." Bridgette even went so far as ripping open the curtains.

Blinking against the sudden flood of light, the woman left Maizie no choice but to begrudgingly oblige.

*~*~*

It wasn't enough that the walls of her torso were being crushed by the corset Bridgette had over-tightened, or that, despite the fact that she was only going to be sitting at a table, Maizie's feet had been stuffed into heels. Still aching from the night before, each second that passed sent another throb through her feet that were beyond begging for relief. She didn't understand why she had been stuffed into a satin dress for a simple meal. Its thick layers weighed heavily against Maizie that threatened to pull her down if she didn't get to sit soon.

Hurry, Bridgette had fussed. And while Maizie stood, waiting for the Queen's arrival, her swimming head made no qualms against reminding her that it, too, was in protest to her being out of bed. Yes, after this meal she would go right back to sleep. She may even just stay in bed for the next few days after this, lazing around in her room and enjoying the quiet.

Gods knew she didn't have responsibilities of her own to worry about.

Servants waited about the table, perfecting any plates out of order and placing a vast array of meats and breads and fruits-

Maizie's stomach rumbled, a sharp reminder that she hadn't yet eaten today. And what a day it had been, she only wished she could escape the dinner and disappear under her covers already. Had debated it even, just turning and walking right out- she so rarely ever dined with Vita in the first place- when the doors opened and servants scrambled to line the wall. Her Majesty was announced and Maizie plastered her face into neutrality at Vita's arrival, a gown of deep violet and obsidian pearls trailing her wake.

Except it wasn't just the queen that strolled through those doors, and Maizie inhaled a gasp at the dozen sets of feet that followed in after her.

Nobles of every region fanned out across the long dining table, men and women alike. Not just any nobles, Maizie realized, but the highest ranked of the lords and ladies of Terralum were present, each decorated in the finest fabrics and jewels money could buy.