Chapter 25: The Queen's Sacrifice

a quick sketch of what is coming ^^

"Master Kenobi."

Her voice was suddenly razor sharp and devoid of any emotion. The iron that had suddenly appeared in her eyes, the steadfast determination with which she righted herself had a shiver running up his spine as Obi Wan watched her leave. Her red cape swung behind her while he followed her movements, rooted to the spot himself and unable to speak the numerous words that lingered on his lips. He'd hoped that she'd turn back, that she'd watch him for one last time but he only saw her flaming red hair before the doors slid shut behind her. And with that, his hope vanished.

"You don't owe me anything." The jedi took in a deep breath and closed his eyes. He'd been distracted the entire meeting, not able to think of anything else than her. He wanted to be angry, he wanted to blame her for what she did but all he could see was the way she looked so utterly devastated when her brother had disappeared. He'd wanted to wrap her in his arms and promise her that he'd save her from everything that'd come onto her path, that she didn't need to do it all alone. That her brother was wrong. Help her face the senate, and if need be go down with her.

But she wouldn't let him, not anymore. He wouldn't even let himself in fear of what the Dark lord would do. He'd already used their bond against them once and Obi Wan couldn't sit by and let him do it again. He had to let her go, just as she had released him by destroying the bond. But then again... Lyanna was planning something, something he would most definitely not like, and he wasn't sure if he could let her go with that knowledge.

"I can't tell you, because you would stop me if I did." The jedi master cursed under his breath as he collected the courage to follow her to the court room. His footsteps echoed through the now empty hall as he swam in the anxiety filling him, thinking about whatever plan she'd devised in the 24 hours she'd resided in the prison.

By the force, he should've gone to her. He should've helped her and ignored the fear of endangering her in the process. Because now, exactly because he didn't go to her, she had devised a plan of her own that would most likely put her own life at risk. Maybe more so than if they had stayed together and faced him, faced perhaps both the dark lord himself and the looming threat of the Dathomirian hunting him.

"I'm not your responsibility anymore." As the words echoed through his head, his eyes dropped to the scar now imprinted on his arm. The wild, stark white lines now crawling over his skin. He remembered the blinding pain effortlessly, the sharp ache that he still felt in his heart. She'd known he wouldn't give her up so easily and thus had severed that bond to make sure he would and yet... yet she'd still looked at him with that lingering hope right before she had left.

Obi Wan righted himself before the doors to the court room. Breathing in deeply, closing his eyes and calling on the usual calming force that he controlled. It didn't come, not now that he felt that empty space in his heart where their bond used to be.

With reluctance the jedi master opened the door, appearing on the balcony overlooking the entire court room. It was a gigantic, dark space with a single walkway leading up to the balcony where the chancellor would pass the sentence. He, together with all the other jedi masters, would look down from the side.

Obi Wan nodded at the other masters collected there and walked to the railings, hoping to see the queen already there. His fingers wrapped around the steel bar and clenched harder than he intended, his knuckles turning white. He almost didn't hear the footsteps of his friend walking up to him.

"And?" Even his voice was quivering as his blue eyes remained focused on the door she'd soon walk through.

"Ahsoka didn't find anything." Anakin said numbly, making another wave of panic shoot through his body. "She's still going through some old records but..." He trailed off but Obi Wan didn't need him to finish the sentence to know what he'd intended to say.