018

"Get out of my car." Rachel Archer groaned, causing a laugh to leave her daughter's painted lips. "Mom." She tried as her eyes rolled, to which Rachel's gave her a sharp look that warned her to tread carefully.

"I'm just saying. Just because I'm moving back to the city next year doesn't mean you have to. You've got a life here." Valerie shrugged.

"You're my life." Rachel pulled a cigarette case out of her purse as she spoke a matter-of-factly. "And Hopper?" Valerie questioned, a suggestive tone lingering on her words that caused her mom to heavily exhale a cloud of smoke. "Valerie Michelle Archer, Thi-,"

"Woah, full government name. What'd she do, Rach?" Charlie questioned as he leaned against the rolled-down window of the passenger side door, throwing his girlfriend a worried glance. "Who's side are you on, Wheeler?"

"I'm always on your side, Archer." Charlie shook his head lightly before giving Rachel a nonchalant wink as Valerie exited her mother's jeep and rounded the blue vehicle. "Hey, where were you this morning? I thought you wanted me to pick you up."

The question made Valerie fight the urge to look over at her mother for help as she shifted uncomfortably. "Oh, I've been such an airhead lately. I meant to call you but it completely slipped my mind. Mom wanted me to help her out with something at the lab."

Rachel had been hired to take Brenner's place at the lab, a move which was purely an attempt by the government to keep the tragedy that was last year a secret. She had so far seceded in just that, keeping all the dirty little secrets the lab held neatly tucked away.

She hated every minute of being back in that desolate building, but it wasn't like she had a choice. The truth was dangerous, the truth could hurt her little girl. "The lab? Wh-" Before Charlie could interrogate the girl, he was cut off by the sound of tires screeching and loud music.

Valerie turned towards the source of the noise only to find a blue Camaro driving through the parking lot.  Her honey-colored eyes scanned the car, instantly noting the Californian number plate before her eyes flew to the passenger door which was violently shoved open.

A fiery red-haired girl stepped out, holding a skateboard under her arm and an annoyed look on her face. The redhead carelessly threw her skateboard down onto the ground before skating off towards the school without a second glance towards the driver of the vehicle.

Valerie, along with every student that was outside of the school including her boyfriend, watched as an extremely attractive male climbed out of the driver seat, a cigarette hanging loosely from his mouth. He had a dirty blonde mullet of permed locks and wore tight denim jeans, a matching denim jacket, and a simple, black t-shirt.  

"Hot damn," Valerie mumbled as she curiously watched the guy toss his cigarette butt off to the side before he finally looked up in the direction of the many eyes on him. Rachel let out a high pitch whistle at the boy, causing Charlie to give the woman a bewildered look as Valerie just cracked a smile.

"Guys!" Charlie scolded his girlfriend and her mom before shoving the youngest Archer girl lightly. Charlie's eyes quickly fell back onto the new guy, who was now smirking widely as his eyes traveled up and down Valerie, sending the girl a flirtatious wink which caused her to roll her eyes.

The boy stood beside his car for a moment, almost as if he was waiting for something or someone. After another moment a blonde girl in pink jeans and a white blouse, which was worn under a brown leather coat emerged.