Chapter 34: Take the bait, Damn you dragon

They were taking the bait.

All of the members of Litana's group had off expressions on their face while they watched Cale, who was slowly walked to the corner of the cave and sat down.

"Thank you for giving me a place to stay tonight."

It was a gentle and respectful tone. Naturally, Cale was the one who said it.

Litana shook her head at the average looking raven haired man.

"It is only normal between travelers. You seem to be cold from the rain, so please rest by the fire."

However, her subordinates remained wary of him. Even if he looked shabby from the rain, he was still a stranger.

On meowed as she snuggled into Cale's hand to act her part of a tired traveller.

Litana was looking at the two of them with a stealthily sharp gaze.

"He doesn't seem like a normal person.'

Litana didn't sense it when her subordinate had pointed his spear at Cale earlier, but taking another look at Cale, the person in front of her had a different feel than a traveller of adventurer.

He seemed healthy, but his posture and walk made it clear that he had not practise any sort of martial arts. However, he did not seem like he was a mage nor any other type of strong individual either.

Her intuition was spot on.

While Litana was observing Cale, Cale was also observing Litana through the corner of his eye.

The people of the Southern Jungle, otherwise known as the Southerners, were known for their bronze skin and fire physique. Having a natural location like the jungle as their home, they were very close to nature.

Close to nature.

Because of that closeness to nature, they developed a very different culture compared to the Whipper Kingdom's citizens.

While the Whipper Kingdom developed a sense of, 'survival of the fittest', and 'struggle', the Southerners developed a sense of, 'win-win' and 'leader and followers'.

An awkward silence filled the cave. The voice that broke the silence was Cale's causal voice.

"The rain seems to be getting stronger. We should leave the forest tomorrow, right, On?"

The expression on the man's face as he gently spoke to the kitten was as warm as the fire. However, On knew his true intentions, but plans to play along and milk this feeling of warmth for as long as she can.

-...Why are you acting like this?-

Raon was confused as well. As he landed beside him, after crawling under the cloak that was being covered by the blanket. Cale had secretly used some runes to dry the back of their clothes as well as the cloak and blanket from being overly soaked by them.

Litana and her subordinates all looked towards Cale with stiff expressions. Litana was able to make a guess based on what the man had just said.

"Ummm, Mr.-"

"You can just call me Cale."

"Yes, Mr Cale."

Litana could see that the man had a magic bag on him, but did not have a sword or anything else, as if he had just come into the forest for a stroll. He also seemed to know his way around. (he does)

He had an odd atmosphere around him.

She suddenly thought of something.

'...Is he a dragon?'