My Hero

I watch my little sister, Angie, draw a large purple peace sign in a white sheet of paper I had handed her only a few minutes ago. I re-read my speech, for the worst day of my life, tomorrow. My Dad's funeral, my best friend. I try to hold back my tears that I feel are coming. I don't want to let Angie see me break down. I look back at her, still filling the peace sign with purple crayon, and smile, happy that I still have her to hang on to.

* * * * *

I wake up the best morning due to the sun shining through my window. I rest on my elbow, and think about how bad this day it going to be, to finally know that my Dad is actually gone. Gone. That word isn't fair, he's gone, but not just for nothing. he voluntarily risked his life so that we could be free, so that Angie and I could be free, he did it for us, for all of us.
I get out of bed, Angie still sleeping on the top bunk. I shake her awake, "You ready?" I ask half heartily. She nods, and we both change into somber black dresses. We got ready, then set off to the funeral.

* * * * *

I sit beside Angie holding her sweaty hand in my cold ones. She squeezes and I squeeze back, telling her that it'll be okay, that we can get through this. But really I was telling that to myself, I could do this, I could get over this. My Dad's funeral, my best friend's funeral. I once again help back a volley of tears.
That's when I noticed my sister turning her head to get a look at something. Turning as well, I see that there are a dozen soldiers walking around a casket. Six holding it up, two leading then, and four taking up the back. I feel a sob rising in my throat, and wrap my arms around Angie from the back. They reach the spot ahead of everyone, and set down the casket.

They gave their own speech about how he was a Dad, a husband, a brother, and a friend, but not just that he was a soldier, but brave, courageous, vulnerable. When they were finished it was our turn.
Angie and I walk slowly up to the spot, tears running down our faces. Angie set her purple peace sign on the casket, and I start my speech.
"My little sister, Angie, drew a peace sign. She did this because all my Dad ever wanted was peace, peace for us two, peace for the country." I hold back a sob, refusing to mess up my speech. "My Dad was my best friend, he was great, he was my whole world. Before he left,he kissed us both, telling us he'd be back,that he loved us both. we loved him too, because he was out hero."