Broken Promises and New Beginnings

Alberto was left alone once Giulia decided it'd be better to go for a walk and clear her thoughts. He sighed as he sat in the kitchen chair, slowly craving away at the wooden Vespa in his hands. He smiled softly at his crafted work.

There was a time in his life when he was much younger, in which he believed that a shiny Vespa was the key to true happiness. Back then, that was the only thing on his mind that could easily bring a smile to his face. What a simpler time it was.

Now, not even his dream to travel the globe on top of Vespa, exploring new tomorrows could bring him happiness. For his dream was incomplete if he didn't have the one he longed for by his side. Alberto closed his eyes and thought back to the stupid promise he made as a kid.

It was the third summer in which Luca and Giulia returned to Porto Rosso once again. Things really began to shift that summer. The last bit of remnants of their childhood had disappeared as they began to enter their early teen years. It was a year filled with growth spurts, cracking lower voices and many changes. It was also the first year in which the growing animosity between Alberto and Luca began.

Luca suddenly became more skittish to Alberto's touch. There was a lingering awkwardness in every conversation they had that continued to leave a sour taste in their mouths. Maybe it was because Luca didn't know how to react to his new found feelings about Alberto. Maybe Alberto was too hot headed and jealous about anyone who Luca even mentioned. Regardless, that summer seemed to be the blueprint to their future bickering, but there was a moment which Alberto treasured fondly. That year he'd finally able to purchase his very own Vespa. However, it was in poor conditions and needed a lot of work, but Alberto was more than happy to do what was necessary.

"You'll see! Once I get this thing running, you'll be begging for me to give you a ride." Alberto said with a huff. How dare Luca call his Vespa useless?

"S-Sorry I didn't mean it like that! I just um..." Luca said, rubbing his arm. "I was trying to say that....if you need help I can help. If you want."

Alberto frowned. "Are you saying I can't do it on my own?"

"What no?! I'm-" Luca huffed frustrated. "I'm just saying that traveling on your own is going to get lonely. It wouldn't hurt to have someone by your side."

"Oh. Um well I'm okay with being alone..." Alberto looked sheepishly to the side as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Plus with your school...I doubt you even have the time to join me."

"Well you still have a long awhile before it's fixed up right?"

"Um kinda? I'm going to try and get it ready by next summer."

"Oh. If that's the case then," Luca paused as he clasped his hands together then shyly looked up. "I can definitely go with you! It will be lots of fun, don't you think?"

"Y-Yeah it does..." Alberto felt his heart skip a beat. He turned to the side as a heavy blush settled on his face. "But you better not slow me down. And you better be able to take care of yourself."

Luca smiled and as he ran around giddy with excitement. "Sure! I promise I can do that! Now can I get on your Vespa? Just to get used to it for the future!"

Alberto frowned and gestured to Luca to get on. "Fine, just don't break it. Kay?"

"Wow!" Luca said with wide eyes as he tried to settle his hands on the handles. "So how do you turn it on?"

Alberto rolled his eyes and sat behind Luca, pressing against his back. A soft squeak came from Luca who slowly seemed to get more flustered. Alberto smirked and pointed at the key ignition. "Right there but don't try it right now."