Chapter Two

“Trust me. You’re gonna love him,” Alfred assured me, knocking repetitively on the closed door before us. My things were precariously stacked in one of his arms, but he had refused to hand them over, again, despite my protest, “I’ve been preparing for your arrival and telling him all sorts of things about you. He’s very excited.” The door finally swung open and a young boy, perhaps fifteen or so, stood in the way, eying the two of them. His gaze fell upon Alfred and the expression melted to one akin to idolization.

“Alfred!” he greeted, excited, and stepped aside for them to come inside, “I was wondering when you were going to get here! Is this him?” For a moment the boy turned towards me and I realised there was absolutely no way this could be an ordinary human. The American personification dropped his load beside the door, which swung closed behind me. Reaching up, he ruffled the boy’s hair in fondness.

“This here is Ellis,” Alfred explained, trapping the kid in a headlock when he began to complain about the condition of his hair, which only urked him more. Something told me that only Alfred could get away with this, “He’s one of my little brothers. There’s a ton of them - The states, you know - but this one in particular has offered his home for you to stay in while you’re here. This generally were I am, too, when I can be in the area, so we’ll kind of be sharing a house.”

“New York,” Ellis managed to throw off his brother and stick a hand in my direction. The sudden change in his demeanor caught me a little off guard; His expression no longer excited and filled with admiration, but cold and business-like. I shook hands with him, matching it.

“Romano Italy,” I returned, “Or Lovino, for future reference.”

“You’ve probably heard an earful from Alfred, already,” Ellis guess. He wasn’t exactly wrong - Alfred seemed to fill every silence - Whether it needed it or not, “And you’re a fish around these parts, too right? Just off the boat? I’m sure you’re tired.” There was an objectory Hey! from Alfred, but neither of us paid him mind.

“Yeah, I suppose you could say that,” I nodded, “You have a spare room for me?”

“You can have Gil’s old room,” Ellis decided, turning and waving a hand to indicate he should be followed, “He went to go harass people out West a while ago and haven’t heard of him, since.”

“Pretty sure he went home,” Alfred interjected, following behind us. What little I knew about Gil - That being the former Prussian, so I assumed - wasn’t much, but I did know he liked to keep things orderly. Thankfully, I wouldn’t be finding many little gifts left by him. Ellis also was sure to tell me hit set off all the traps years ago, so there was no reason to fear those, either.

“Here we are,” Ellis pushed open a door about halfway down a random hallway and displayed it. Alfred, who I hadn’t noticed had grabbed my things, set them at the foot of the bed and ushered me inside.

“I’ve gotta go do some work in a couple other places, so by the time you’re done I won’t be around, but you’re welcome to ask Ellis if you need anything,” Alfred mentioned, right before he closed the door to give me some privacy. One the other side of it, I could hear some continued chatter, likely spurred from the sudden declaration of departure.

“I didn’t know nothing about you leaving.”

“I hate to blow the joint and all, Ellis, but some things came up elsewhere.”

“You were supposed to stay through ‘til the party, though. I got an actual invite for both of us and everything.”

“Ellis, there is absolutely no way you or I are going to that. It’s full of bootlegging and scumbags.”

“They aren’t scumbags. They’re guests. Mister Gatsby says so.”

“I don’t care what Mister Gatsby says. I’ll be back late Friday and if you’re at that party, so help me I’ll skin you, myself.” There was an indignant huff from the other side of the door and I assumed the conversation was over. This was the first time I had heard the man’s name, but I was unaware of all the events surrounding him that were yet to come.