Chapter Thirty-Two

I lost the bet.

Alec, in all his infinite wisdom, thought it would be funny to start shaking the piece of wood as I went to hit the nail in. Just as he hoped, I smacked him right on the fingers with the hammer. It was his own fault since he had been stupid enough to move the plank in the first place but a bet was a bet and I had to go on the picnic.

It didn't take too long to convince Jonathan and Barbara to let me go, especially after what I did. They both felt like I needed to make it up to Alec for injuring him, even if it had been his fault, and gave me permission to go with him on Saturday. Jonathan found the whole thing hilarious and he had been pulling faces whilst Barbara reprimanded me for being so reckless with the hammer. My plan to stop the rumours had blown up in my face.

Still, I had no choice but to go on the picnic with Alec since I told him I would go and it hardly seemed fair to turn my back on him. Of course, I knew he would have played the victim card if I said no and most likely would have played up his injury, even though all I had done was bruise his fingers. If it had been anything worse, I knew I would be in more serious trouble but I think even Barbara could see that it never would have happened if Alec hadn't started shaking the plank like an idiot.

"It'll be fun, Syb. You'll see," Jonathan said on Saturday morning as we tacked up Jigsaw for the ride to the clearing.

"How? We went to the clearing before, I don't see how this could be any different."

"Ah, but you two barely knew each other back then. Things have changed."

"Don't start."

"I didn't say anything!" Jonathan wiggled his eyebrows at me; at least someone was having fun. He must have noticed my reaction because he sighed. "Right, out with it. What's going on with you? I thought you'd be excited to get off the farm for a bit, have some fun with someone your own age rather than with Barbara and me who are practically grandparents."

"I like spending time on the farm, it's fun."

"Not the answer I was looking for."

To distract myself, I readjusted Jigsaw's stirrups, but I knew I couldn't avoid the question forever. "Alec's nice and everything, but I don't want him to think that there could be anything between us. Not if I'll be going home when the war's over."

"I'm sure Alec knows that, and understands it, but what's wrong with having a bit of fun whilst you are here? You went to the clearing before, you said so yourself, why would now be any different? Especially if you're so certain that there is nothing going on between you."

I shrugged. "What if he thinks that there could be?"

"Then you set him straight if you're certain there is nothing there and don't want the same thing. Don't think about it too much, Sybil. I know I've been teasing you, and perhaps that's been a little harsh of me, but Alec would understand." He smiled. "That, and I think he might already think there is something going on there."

"I suppose."

"Just enjoy yourself today, it's supposed to be a bit of fun and you can't have fun if you're trapped in that head of yours."

Jonathan was right. Even if Alec did think there was potential for something to happen between us, this picnic was supposed to be a bit of fun, and after the last few weeks, I needed fun. I could always set Alec straight if things went too far or he got the wrong end of the stick, but there was no point thinking too far ahead when Alec hadn't even arrived yet. I needed to get out of my head for a change.

Although I had continued to meet with Eva once a week in the village, things had changed. She worried about Anthony and how he might be fairing in France since she hadn't received a letter from him. It was all she could think about and, in turn, it just made me think of Dad. He had written to say that the Navy were preparing to join the infantry troops in France and that meant he would be deployed. The thought terrified me.