Chapter 11

As I knelt over the grave that had my name, I couldn’t help but wonder if I should have taken the ring before. Although, Liz did say that it might kill me if I wore it. I supposed there was nothing I could have done.

I brushed off my knees as I rose from the ground.

“It was here before, I swear,” I said.

Liz looked doubtful. “When did you have time to come digging up a grave?”

I explained how the raven had distracted me and shown me the ring when we first came to the cemetery. That look of hers didn’t change.

“And the raven talked to you?” she asked.

“Well, no. Not really,” I said. “It just showed me the ring was here.”

“Hmm,” was all she could say. The others looked they weren’t buying it either.

I gave her the most serious look I could muster. “I swear there was a silver ring here with a black stone.”

She finally nodded. “All right, fine. I’ll believe you — for now. And if you really did find that ring here, you should have told me.” Her blank stare continued. “Anything else you want to share with me?”

I thought about the torn piece of paper about the dog. There was no point in mentioning it. Goliath was gone now.

“Nope,” I said. “I left the ring buried here.”

Liz grabbed the spade and stuffed it back into her bag. “Let’s go. Not only do we have missing Lexicons and a misplaced corpse, but now the ring that can open up a portal to the Netherworld is on the loose as well.” She muttered to herself, something about it never being easy with me around.

“Wait a second,” I said. “You said there were three doorways to the Netherworld. What does this ring have to do with that?”

She started walking at her speedy pace. “The rightful bearer of the ring doesn’t need the Nexus to cross between worlds – the ring creates its own portal. And if anyone other than its owner puts it on, it will pull them through.”

“To where?”

“Directly to the Reaper.”

“Oh,” I muttered. I supposed it was good I never wore it.

She gave me one last look that said, are-you-getting-that-this-isn’t-a-game-yet?

I nodded and followed in quiet.

Back at Barclay Mansion, we found Constable Buttercup seated in the waiting room, a little too close to Jeeves. In fact, I think she had been tickling him because Jeeves giggled like a child.

She leapt up at the sight of us and straightened her hair and uniform. “I’m so glad you’re here!” she said.

Jeeves took one look at Liz, fiddled with the keys in this hand, and then stomped off.

“Anything new?” Liz asked.

The constable nodded. “We think we found the woman you mentioned in the market. Or, at least, we think it’s her.”

“Really?” I said. This was some sorely needed progress.

“Yes, but…”

She paused for a moment.

“But, what?” I asked. ‘But’ is not the word anyone likes to hear when you think you’re getting good news.

“She’s dead,” the constable said.