Interlude

Interlude

" I need a pee, excuse me for a minute " The old man stood up and shuffled slowly across the floor toward the back of the pub disappearing round the corner that led to the outside loo, it took a little while for him to go out of sight.

It was only at this point that I remembered where I was, the little pub was still quiet, a couple of locals stood chatting at the bar oblivious to our presence the barman interjecting in their conversation with the odd quip . I glanced up at the clock, five minutes had elapsed. This was my first realisation that the situation was surreal, in real time it must have taken much longer to get up to this stage in the adventure, I don't know how long you have been reading this book but that will give you a rough idea ?

Whilst waiting I ordered another half for myself along with a glass of water for the old man. Whist paying for my  drink the bartender advised me he partook of the odd peppermint cordial now and then but the water was his main tipple.

Placing them on the table I awaited his return.  So he was known to some , the bartender knew him. Soon I heard the familiar shuffle of feet from the rear of the pub. For what seemed like an eternity he crept toward the table, sat down, took a sip of his water. Nodded his thanks with a sincere smile he continued, ......