Back at the Parsonage - Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Zach was still with Michael in his bedroom telling him fishing and hunting stories that the boy would like. He even told little white lies about the size of the fish he caught and enjoyed the boy’s eyes grow in wonder. He told Michael that they would go fishing as soon as he was well. To top everything off he told him that the very first gift he was going to give his new son was a horse of his very own.

Michael was so happy, for the first time in many months, he felt safe but more importantly there was going to another man to look after and protect his mother. One of the strongest and biggest men Michael knew promised no harm would come to them. When you are, eleven your heroes are bigger than life and they seem to be invincible.

Zach became serious and started to ask Michael what bothered him and caused his night terrors. Dorothy was always surprised that some of the biggest men can be the gentlest Zach was such a good man. With everything that was given to him, he never took it for granted. He would drop off eggs, fish and extra deer meat to the village families. They liked him; he never looked at them as if they were lesser than he was. Michael too admired Zach and he was going to be his father.

Slowly he told Zach about Kathie’s murder but his memories were distorted. In his dreams, the murder was a huge black crow. Michael’s real memory of the murder was clouded.

Zach was not surprised that Michael was sick after witnessing such a scene, who would not be and him a wee lad. He would have to find Katie’s body and then work with the boy to discover who would do such a cruel thing. The boy was exhausted, awakened by nightmares for months. Michael felt he could sleep through the night, laid back into his pillow, and sleep followed quickly. Zach tiptoed down the stairs to find Dorothy.

He found her in the garden picking flowers to put in a vase in her father’s bedroom and vegetables for the evening meal. He thought that she never looked more beautiful and she was going to be his bride. All his shyness gone he took her in his arms and kissed her gently on the forehead. He knew he would have to go slow with Dorothy. He spent the next half-hour discussing Michael’s problem. He left her to find Katie’s body and in time, when Michael was better, Zach hoped that his full memory would come back. Right now, it was important to put Katie in a proper grave with church services and the people who cared sending her off with love and prayers.

Zach also informed her that he would make an announcement to the rest of his family tonight about their engagement. Bands would be read the next two Sundays in church and then they could be properly married.

In charge now, Zach told her not to worry about anything that tomorrow began a of a new day and a new life together. A wagon would arrive in the morning to move Dorothy, her father and Michael up to the Big House. A maid would be assigned to her father’s care until Zach found a good nurse. The quicker they moved up to the house, the sooner he would be able to protect them.

He mounted his horse waved goodbye and headed to the old flourmill to verify Michael’s story. He had no doubt that the boy told the truth after all he was Dorothy’s son. No, his son and a wide smile spread across his face.

Seth too believed Michael’s story, because he was there. He had listened to Zach’s speech to Dorothy, hidden in the rose bushes. The boy called him a crow, which brought a smile to his face. Excited for the first time in months the game was afoot, he quietly slipped out of the garden covered in dirt, leaves and grass. He did not mind, it was all part of the wonderful game. Deep in the woods up the road from the parsonage, he mounted his tied horse and took off for the flourmill.

Dorothy entered her home and ran up the stairs to talk with Michael. It was small wonder that the boy was ill but why did he not tell her?