Chapter 7 - Recognition

(Charlie)

“So this is where you live?” Lys breathes as she presses her face close to the window, taking in the town as we drive through it. With her long hair plaited on either side of her face, the innocent joy lighting up her features shines through with untamed emotions. I smile as she ooh’s and ah’s at the different shops, people and sites around our small beach-side home, completely enraptured by it all. This is her first time outside the house apart from the beach since we weren’t sure what to do with her once she’d arrived.

“Noe, did you pick up our lunch from the kitchen?” I ask, leaning forward in my seat so my head rests on his shoulder.

“No.” he says flatly.

I wait for an explanation but it doesn’t come, “Why not?”

He shrugs, “Not my responsibility. I’m just the chauffeur.”

I draw back glaring at his smiling eyes in the rearview mirror, “You’re such a little f-”

“Say another word and I’ll tell mum you’re teaching Lys bad words.” He interrupts, pulling over in front of the school. “Get out.”

“At least give us some money.” I snap, “Do you want Lys to go hungry, or what?”

Grumbling under his breath, Noah digs into his pocket, retrieving a worn out black wallet. He shoves a 20 into my waiting hand, “Now go.” He growls.

I laugh, giving him a peck on the cheek, before opening the door and sliding out. I turn around to get Lys out as well, only to see her kiss my brother on the cheek as well before struggling out of the car.

Noe just looks at us, his eyes about to fall out of his head.

Lys looks between our identical expressions, “Was I not supposed to do that?”

“Not really.” I finally say with a laugh as I realize why she did it. I stick my head back into the car, “We’ll see you later Noe. Lys was just copying me again, don’t think about it too much.” He looks at me blankly and I roll my eyes, “Ok, you can go now.”

He coughs, shaking himself out of his stupor, “Do you need me to pick you guys up?”

I shake my head, “We’ll get back ourselves. If there’s a change of plans I’ll give you a ring.”

He nods his head, sending me a grin, “Ok, see you later.”

I wave after him as he pulls away from the curb before turning to Lys. “Ok, so maybe don’t copy everything I do.” I say ruffling my hair awkwardly, “When it comes to kissing, me doing it to Noe on his cheek is ok because I’m just trying to annoy him. I guess you could do that to mum as well? Dad, maybe… Me, I don’t mind. But that’s only for the cheek. It’s like a display of affection for friends and people you care about, ok?” she nods her head vigorously, her braids bouncing on her shoulders. “You only kiss someone on the mouth if you’re going out with them.”

She tilts her head to the side, “Going out?”

“Like dating. You know, if there’s a guy I really like and we started to date, it’d be fine if I kissed him on the lips. Make sense?”

“Lips only for love.” She replies and I grin back at her.

I begin walking towards the school gates and she follows right beside me. “We’ll try and keep kissing to a minimum though, ok? It’s better to stay on the safe side while you’re still figuring this stuff out.”

“Introduce. NOW.” A low voice says in my ear, as a strong hand grips my arm, stopping me in my tracks.

I look up at Pat, my secret crush for God knows how long and best friend, with a raised eyebrow. “You’re eager this morning.” I grumble, sliding my arm out of his grasp.