Thanks For The Meal (smutt)

The winter would be harsh this year.
The season had only begun and already the air had picked up a harsh nip, temperatures dropping rapidly. Village children sat with their noses pressed against windows, moaning their displeasure at being stuck inside, with the sudden shift from a crisp autumn to a freezing winter most of the younger and older folks in town had come down with colds.

“Tell her I’m fine Mr. Shoita!” Nagisa currently stood on the front porch of one such cold victim, the little girl’s cheeks were flushed pink and her nose was a bright red from all the sneezing. “I want to go play already!” He chuckled, stooping down to ruffle her hair playfully.

“With the medicine I gave your mother? You’ll be fine in no time, then you can go out and play.” The girl only pouted at him, her arms crossing in anger. Quickly Nagisa shuffled through his bag until he was able to produce a brightly colored candy, which managed to get her eyes sparkling if even for a moment. He let out a soft laugh as she snatched it from his fingers and shoved it eagerly into her mouth. “Don’t give your mother too much trouble, okay?” Receiving a hesitant nod, he smiled before getting on his way.

He shivered slightly as he drew his thicker winter coat around him, the nights only made the cold worse and he found himself trudging home through thick snow in the dark. That last visit took much longer than expected, not to mention the three other cases he ended up having sprung upon him. Sure he could have denied them but… Well Nagisa had a hard time turning down somebody who was in need of him, it wouldn’t be the first time that he worked many more hours then he originally intended.

What could he do? People needed him and he was more than happy to help.

Though after the long cold walk through the forest he couldn’t help the happiness that bubbled up in him to see the little cabin he called home, more than eager to end the day. He happily clambered up the steps to his door, pausing only briefly to search his pockets for his keys.

His bag was thrown onto the store’s front counter, his coat tossed onto the armchair by the door so he could take the stairs that led to his living quarters two at a time. It was freezing in here.

Finding a match he got the fireplace going before he cleaned himself off and drew on a fresh pair of pajamas. He probably should have had something to eat, but looking at his bed he found the exhaustion of the day was much more than he originally thought. Tossing himself into bed and diving under the covers, he was out like a light.
____________________

Nagisa shot up in bed, his head darting about from side to side. The room was dark except for the warm light being cast by the fireplace, so he couldn’t have been asleep long. The sound of somebody pounding on the front door had him shooting up, rapidly grabbing a robe and stumbling down the steps.

When he opened the door the harsh winter air forced its way in, along with a heavy body falling forward and landing on Nagisa. With a gasp of surprise Nagisa hauled the body up enough that he could drag it into the armchair, forcing the door closed with his foot.

Rapidly he made for the bag he had taken to the village, moving quick to address the man’s condition. Nagisa’s hand shot forward to touch the man’s forehead only to discover he was deathly cold.

“N-Nagisa…” Nagisa’s heart jumped at the weak raspy voice, but he recognized it instantly. Quickly he pushed the hood of the mans cloak off so it was no longer covering his face.

“K-Karma?!” The other lifted his head weakly, letting it slump against the back of the armchair so he could look at Nagisa with glassy Mercury eyes. “What happened to you?” Nagisa’s voice raised with panic, as he quickly scanned the others face for any symptoms, quickly trying to think up possible ailments that could effect the undead.