TWO

Two. 

The drive to Briggumup is only two hours, but as the scenery melts into bushland and old roads, it feels as though we are in a different world we spend the drive mostly in silence, humming along to songs, I text mum to let her know I left and to let her know I love her, I briefly ache for her, but the ache subsides when Megan reaches her hand to my shoulder and squeezes softly, comfort filling my mind, this is good for me, I try and convince myself, I need this. 

All too soon we pull up the familiar driveway, a windy uphill road, that stretches for at least a kilometer, setting the house away from the tiny town, the house backs onto the beach and we rarely leave the property most years. A sense of comfortable memories fills my mind as I take in the home in front of me, I have come with the Meed family every year for the last 10 years consistently, my mum came to, most years, the first 3 my father followed along as well, summers here where always better spent then against the busy city. 

I look to Megan, a full smile lays on her lips and her eyes take in every inch of the white beach house in front of her. "Ready for a tan?" I tease, her eyes snap close and she groans, laying her head against the headrest.

"I brought 3 bottles of sunscreen and I'll still be burnt by tomorrow morning" Megan's one downfall was that she never ever tanned, only ever becoming sunkissed red. We exit the car laughing and dragging our bags towards the house, it isn't until the porch steps that I notice the mess. Red cups, and beer bottles litter the front of the house and a spilled ashtray in front of the front door, scattering ash along the entrance. I feel the sigh behind me rattle my bones, and the disappointment suffocates the air, Megan wasn't a clean freak, but she likes everything in its place, she struggles to relax when anything is messy, and cleaning this porch would mean there was no relaxation for either of us today. 

"Heath?" I question quietly, scared I may summon him, unsure if I'm quite ready to see him again. 

"Heath," she replies frustration covering her face as she ditches her bag to the ground, stomping up the steps and into the house. "HEATH!" she yells, Megan isn't a fighter, calmness usually enveloping her, choosing polite smiles and niceties, But Heath has always had the ability to rock her, even before. There is a moment of peace before the racing of footsteps rattles the floor above us, how many friends did he bring, the feet grow closer and a nervous Knott forms in my stomach, it's only now I really decide I'm not ready to see him, but there he is, his hair is blonder then his sisters, only really red in the sun if you look close enough, but those eyes, they have always shared those big, blue doe eyes, he looks good, really good, but my eyes only find him for a second before they drift to the boy behind him. He's a strong contrast to Heath, His hair looks black, his jaw is sharp and clenched, he pauses at the top of the stairs, too far away for me to really take him in and I fight the urge to step closer to study him. 

"Meggy! I'm so glad you're finally here, I want you to meet my friend's Guys! get down here and meet my sister" Heath wraps his arms around his baby sister and almost consumes her, she's so tiny I think, and then shake the envy from my mind. Her eyes meet mine and I sense the guilt, He doesn't acknowledge me, I don't know if he hasn't noticed me, but I'm too rigid to move. Megan pushes her brother off of her, whispering something quickly as he steps back. He looks at me, and my breath stops, he looks surprised, had she told him?  Did he know I was coming? would he still be here if he did? his eyes linger on me for a second, before moving to the staircase behind him, not a single greeting spoken, Megan offers an unsure smile, stepping closer to me, my eyes flicker the boy at the top of the stairs, his eyes are pulled up from the ground and I know he noticed the exchange as well.

"Oi?" Heath questions, and then he begins to descend, it's only then I notice the third guy, he trails behind, he's taller than the other two, and his dark brown eyes lock on Megan, a kind smile forming, my eyes flicker to the soft blush forming on Megan's cheeks.