Prologue: Meet The Freaks

• Dedicated to To my special freaks

DEDICATED TO ALL MY FRIENDS, FOR THEIR INK AND PAPER TWINS.

“Good bye machos,” I said, pinching Trina’s left cheek. She kissed mine in return. Her boyfriend, Ian, looked at me quizzically.

“No, you don’t have to do what she did just now,” I said to Ian. His face cracked up in a smile. I grinned back.

                 Trina Kheir and Ian Agen. They were the world’s best couple. While Trina was a spirited kind of beauty, with her honey brown curls, big doe brown eyes and a fresh rural face, Ian was spunky.  He had jet black hair and golden spikes, tousled messily. Plus, he was super smart. Rumour has it that he was going to Oxford University after winning a scholarship, which showed us exactly how smart he was.

“Just tell the guys I left because of a minor emergency,” I said to Trina. She nodded, smiling like a love sick idiot.

                 I climbed into my shuttle bus, and smiled at them, leaving The Square behind. The Square was nothing but the school’s Dining Hall, thronged by students from the Denport Hill School. It was the place where my friends, Trina, Paul, Rafael, Ian and I hung out the most. It was also, the ‘chill out’ zone of the school. Today, however, I just had to get out. Paul Steeler’s girlfriend, Barbara ‘Barbie’ Morris was eating my head up (no surprise here; she always did).

                 Barbie was a religious, orthodox nut. A total psycho. She was also, my roommate and my best friend (most of the time). She was tall, with shoulder length blonde hair and bluer than blue eyes and a sexy, throaty voice. You’d picture her to be bold and confident, but she was the complete opposite of all that. She was nervous, and weak willed. But hey, she was charismatic, and that was no joke.

                  Her boyfriend, Paul Steeler, was a handsome stud. He was dark skinned, had a handsome face and a kicking figure. In some ways, Paul and Barbie were exactly like each other, because the religious crap aside, he was also a psycho. He dated girls mostly because he’d get to bang them. His heart was in the right place, but he was totally irresponsible. It was difficult sometimes, but Paul was tolerable. He was my good friend after all. 

Rafael Levine was the tallest of the guys of our batch, had a mass of blonde hair and soft brown eyes. The best feature was his smile. That could brighten up my day like Christmas. Unlike me, Rafael was a loner, and preferred silence to social gatherings. Me? I had a truck load of friends, mostly useless. Early betrayals and rejections had taught me to adopt a motto: Use them before they use you. I succeeded in keeping this motto most of the times. I had a tough skin.

                  I glimpsed at myself, reflected on one of the glass doors of The Square. Waist length straight red hair and triangular face. Quite average looking. The best feature I possessed was my emerald green eyes, which were accessorized by black carbon framed spectacles. I was no Barbie Morris or Trina Kheir.

                 I am Reese Livingstone.

                 This is my story.