He Will Be Okay

You were back in the same spot as you were earlier, at the corner of the reception hall with a drink in your hand. The dance floor was noticeably thinner now despite the music still being on full blast.

You caught John's eye from across the room where he was engaged in a conversation with a couple of male guests. He had approached you just a few moments earlier asking if you were aware of Sherlock's whereabouts, to which you said you did not. You did not want to worry the newly-wed husband on his wedding day. But if anyone knew Sherlock Holmes, it was John Watson, and you knew deep down he was aware that his best-man was no longer at the party.

Feeling a presence right next to you, you diverted your attention away from John to lock eyes with a worry-stricken Molly.

"Is Sherlock okay?" her voice was shaky.

"Molly," you sighed. "I don't want to talk about it."

"I just want to know if he's okay."

You pursed your lips and looked away, staring at a few guys dancing drunkenly on the dance floor and embarrassing themselves. For some reason, you wished that was you, dancing away with no care in the world.

"He's okay... he will be okay," you replied softly, looking back at her and giving her a small, reassuring nod. Reassuring not only her but also yourself. He was going to be okay.

Her brows remained furrowed in worry, but she nodded back in understanding.

A comfortable silence fell between the two of you.

"Where's – "

"Tom?" she finished your question. You raised an eyebrow at her promptness.

"He wouldn't stop yapping about how late it was... so I sent him home," she said with a sip of her drink.

"That... sucks."

She snapped her head towards you and you feared you offended her. But then you saw a small hint of a smile appearing on her face and before you knew it, the two of you were laughing at the absurdity of the situation.

"Molly?" you asked after the laughter died down.

"Yes?"

"Put that away."

"What?"

You gestured at the drink in her hand. She set the glass down at a nearby table, her eyebrows raised in confusion.

And for the second time that night, you reached out to grab another hand in your own. This time they belonged to Molly.

"We're on the wrong side of the dance floor," you said with a grin.

"I knew you'd notice sooner or later," she grinned back, pulling you to the dancefloor.

You needed this. Needed to dance the night away with no care in the world.

_______

A/N:

And that's a wrap!

A huge thank you to everyone reading this!

I really just wanted a reason to revisit one of my favourite Sherlock episodes and delve more into some of the characters that we have grown to love so much. And I am so glad I could bring the rest of you along with me on this ride. It was a long ride, for sure, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. It was partly experimental too, as I wanted to see if I could write a multi-chapter piece of work. Looking forward, I hope to write more and get more of my creative juices flowing. Maybe not an episode re-write of sorts as this one, but perhaps with more original plot points and storylines. I'm also open to suggestions!

Thank you once again for reading! Hope you are taking care of yourselves during these tumultuous times.