Prologue

PROLOGUE

She kept on running. They can’t get me! They just can’t! Her mind screamed at her. Buildings rushed past her as she continued on. The darkness of the night surrounded her and even the lights from the streets gave her no hope. No way could she be caught by them. If she was, then her life would surely be over for good.

Turning a corner, she saw a crowd of people grouped around a bar. There was a fight going on, as shouts floated to her ears indicated that most of them were drunk. The girl pushed forward, anything being better than the people who pursued her. As she got closer to the crowd, she heard police sirens getting closer to the bar. Some of the people in the crowd realized it, and were sensible and sober enough to leave.

The fight began to get more aggressive as insults and threats were thrown around. She weaved through the crowd, trying to remain hidden so she wouldn't be caught. Her pursuers stopped and started to push people aside. Many of them complained and yelled.

"Get the hell outta here, ya little-" A man started yelling, but stopped short as a gun was put to his forehead.

"What was that?" A deep voice asked.

The girl froze, recognizing the voice from before. The man who had yelled was suddenly quiet.

"That's what I thought. Now get on out of here before I blow all your heads off!!!!!" All of the people rushed off from the bar. The girl tried to sneak off, but the man saw her. He grabbed her arm and said, "You're not going anywhere, missy." He pulled her to a black car, which nearly blended in with the night, but had a hard time getting her in. He had to get his partner, the girl's other pursuer, to help him.