Black Dahlia

Ah, yes, what type of Unexplained Mystery story would this be without the mention of the 1947 murder labelled 'The Black Dahlia'. It is a murder that has haunted Los Angeles until this day. The body of Elizabeth Short, aged 22, was found mutilated and brutalized. Also in two halves. Not only does this story freak me out, it makes me teary. Poor Ms Short had travelled to Hollywood to become a star. And she did alright. Though probably not in the way she would have guessed. Short was nicknamed the Black Dahlia because of her jet-black hair and the black clothing that she constantly wore. She was last seen on the night of January 15 at Biltmore Hotel. To date, the mystery has never been solved by the police. As with all unsolved murders, numerous theories and suspects have been thrown into the frame, but the Black Dahlia is still an unsolved murder. Her killer had posed the woman in a graphic scene, but only after first cutting her body in half. Police later estimated that the woman had been tied down with ropes and tortured for several days before death finally came. The scene was devoid of blood, indicating that the acts committed against her happened elsewhere.

The killer taunted investigator, sending little notes that said, "catch me if you can."

On former detective, who later became a private investigator, had said that his father George Hodel had committed the murders of Jeanne French and Elizabeth Short. He said that he had the proof, but police ignored the evidence as a way to cover up medical records of some powerful people and police. If George would have been arrested, except police felt he would open up medical records of these people. George left the country never to be heard from again. He died in 1991. His son had asked for the investigation to be reopened. Did this man kill Elizabeth Short? The only people that could know for sure are dead.