Forced Friends

At first Jeff had refused. Could his mother be serious, did she really expect him to go over and make friends with Randy? He was still in bed when his mother stopped her incessant humming long enough to tell him to get up and get dressed. Once he learned why, he'd told her no, no way in hell. However, his mother was a shrewd manipulator, and she'd know exactly what would get the job done. She promised Jeff that if he did this for her, went over and made it work with Randy, that Liu could come home the next day. She'd sandbagged Jeff right into the corner with that one. He'd no choice but to agree.

A short time later, Jeff and his mother were pulling into Randy's driveway. Randy's mother answered the door.

"Hi, you must be Jeff," she greeted.

Jeff smiled wanly and confirmed that was in fact who he was.

"Hello, I'm Shelia Woods, nice to finally meet you in person!" Jeff's mother announced, barging past her son and extending a hand to Randy's mother.

"Shelia, so pleased to meet you, I'm Bridgette Hayden. Sorry to hear that our boys had a little mishap the other day. You know how it is though with teenagers, hormones going crazy and all. Randy never gets into fights, but he explained to me that Jeff and his brother are still new to the area, and haven't quite learned how we do things in Mandeville yet, isn't that right Jeff?"

Jeff couldn't resist a small jab, "Yeah, sorry about that Miss Hayden. Me and Liu had no idea that it was okay for your son and his friends and mess with our bikes without asking."

"Bridgette, he gets that mouth from his father, never knows when to shut up. How about you and I go in and have some coffee and you can tell me all the great gossip around Mandeville while our boys get to know each other the right way."

"Randy is in his room Jeff, upstairs, second door to your left. I'm sure you'll hear the sound of his video games or something," Bridgette stated with very little humor to her voice.

"Thank you ma'am," Jeff answered, and entered the house.

Jeff knocked and heard Randy answer with, "Come in."

"Hey, so, I guess you heard, our parents want us to hang out, get to know each other," Jeff stated with little conviction.

"Yeah, that's my mom alright, she doesn't like drama. Honestly I think she worries too much, I mean, I'm cool if you're cool."

Jeff sat down on the floor next to Randy and struck up a conversation. "So, turns out your dad is my dad's boss, he freaked out about the fight in the parking lot. He was actually worried that he'd get fired or something."

"My dad is like, everyone's boss. I fucking hate it. I think half the kids at my school talk to me because their parents are somehow connected to my dad's firm."

"Why do you hate it?" Jeff asked.

"Because it's fake, this whole damned town is fake. You'll figure it out as you go, but trust me; everyone who lives here is just trying to pretend they're something else. My parents make me do all this shit, all the trophies and stuff, just so they can brag, that's it."

Jeff smiled, "I know how you feel. My dad had me in boxing class a year ago, because some co-worker of his had a brother that worked at the place or something. As soon as that guy quit though, I was out of that gym the next week."

"I wish it was that easy," Randy responded, "I hate playing baseball, but my dad will sure have me out there again next summer, and the summer afterwards. It's like, he knows I hate it, but wants to make sure I'm out there with his stupid company name on the back of my jersey."

"Randy, why did you and your friends fuck with our bikes the other day?"

"I told you, this town is fake, and boring as shit. There is nothing to do here. We have to find stuff to do. I mean, there are only so many times you can go hang out at the video store, or ride the dirt paths in the woods. All the girls here are stuck up, all the stores close early, there's no mall and the movie theatre is across town. We were just bored man, so, sorry for that I guess."

"It's cool," Jeff replied, "I guess I'm sorry for too. Things went too far."

"You mean the fight?" Randy asked, "That shit was actually cool. Those guys, Keith and Troy, they just leech on because of my dad. It's like I told you, I'm pretty sure their parents make them hang out with me."

The afternoon went on, and Jeff soon forgot that this was a mandatory arrangement. He actually started to find himself liking Randy, sure, their first encounter was a little sketchy, but he was coming around to the guy, finding that he wasn't so bad once his idiot friends were removed from the equation.

About an hour later, things took a new turn. Jeff heard the twin pops of two car doors shutting in near unison, and then heard the engine start up. He dropped the game controller and peered out of Randy's bedroom window, just in time to see his mother and Randy's mother backing out of the driveway.

"Our parents are leaving," Jeff said.

"About time, I figured my mom would eventually talk your mom into going shopping, or going to get coffee, or something like that."

Jeff heard Randy pause the game.

"Hey Jeff, come down stairs, I want to show you some cool stuff," Randy invited, and Jeff followed.

Randy led Jeff out to the garage. It was hot in there, with the main door shut. The garage was well kept though, and Jeff observed stacks of magazines underneath a work bench, as well as tools and various other utility items stacked about.

Standing in the small, closed in garage, with the late summer heat lingering about, Jeff began to feel a bit uneasy. Despite the fact that he and Randy had seemed to bond over the last few hours, Jeff couldn't ignore a sense that things were different now that the adults were gone.

"What did you want to show me?" Jeff asked.

"Hold on, let me get it," Randy replied, moving the magazines out to reveal a small, red box.

Jeff watched as Randy removed the box and opened it.

"Check it out, my dad's flare gun," Randy announced, and waved the red, tubular gun about.

"Woah, be careful with that!" Jeff shouted, more out of shock than real concern.

"It's fine dude, don't be a pussy, it's not even loaded," Randy said. However, Jeff watched as he fished one of the flares out of a back compartment. Randy then continued to fiddle with the flare gun, popping it open and loading a flare. "Now it's loaded," he announced. "My dad showed me how to use this last year when we went out boating. Sometimes I take it out back and shoot flares at the trees. But, maybe this time I don't need a tree."

The change in Randy's voice and demeanor was impossible to ignore.

"Okay, well cool gun. Let's get back in the house though, it's hot out here, plus, I'm getting hungry, what do you have to eat?"

However, as Jeff turned to walk through the small door leading back into the house, his path was suddenly blocked by two more familiar faces.