Chapter 19

It took Emma several minutes to process the information she had been given. It was exciting to know that her father could actually be alive, but add onto that hopeful fact that he could be some type of insane mixture of every kind of kin? That was terrifying. When she noticed everyone beginning to stand, her eyes cut sideways to Widow, who was tugging her hand lightly to get her to stand up.

When she stood, then set Salem on his feet, Emma leaned into Widow so that she could whisper in his ear. "I lost my focus. What else did they say after talking about Brax?"

As he led her and Salem from the room, the other kin disappearing through a separate door to their right, Widow replied with a nonchalant tone. "I will help the pholcikin with their attack, and if I live, I could earn my freedom back. Until we leave for that mission we are to stay in our room."

After they followed a kin down a quick flight of stairs, Emma realized what Widow had likely been saying behind his words. She looked over at him as they stepped into the same elevator they'd used to come up and the kin inserted the necessary key to begin their descent.

"They probably have a kin or two who are going to go after you once their goal is complete... if they don't just all attack," she said, ignoring their escort. He could take the information back to Valaria if he wanted. It wouldn't make any difference.

The edge of Widow's lips twitched up, silently acknowledging her words.

"These kin can't be serious. They want you to risk your life only for them to kill you afterward, if you survive?" Emma growled angrily. She knew that she should have been mad at him for not telling her that she might be half kin, but considering they hadn't gotten much of a break to really breathe and talk openly since leaving the colony, she couldn't blame him for keeping the information to himself.

At least I know now.

She noticed Widow leaning over and tilted her head up slightly to meet his eyes. He gently brushed a few strands of hair away from her face, tucked them behind her ear, then tilted his head and gave her a soft kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you for caring about me, Emma."

They each took a step slightly away from each other after a moment when the chime above their heads rang out, then the doors slid open to reveal their floor. Fishing out the key card she'd tucked into her pocket, Emma unlocked the door and pushed it open. Once Salem and Widow were inside, she let the door close, then locked it.

Legs and Goliath won't be barging in again.

She toed her shoes off, then let out a long breath on a sigh. She was more than ready to go to sleep. Looking to her left, she was grateful to see Foster sitting up in bed. Her brother didn't hesitate to climb up onto it with him. After a quick hug that Foster didn't return, but didn't deny, they both curled up together beneath the blankets and were out cold in seconds.

When she heard the bathroom door open a moment later she looked over, noticing Widow stepping out with his shirt in his hand. She didn't bother trying to pretend that she wasn't looking at him as he walked over and set the shirt on the long dresser where the television was perched. His eyes then rose to hers, but she couldn't take her own gaze away from his toned body in the low light from the single lamp that was on in the corner. It's faint glow illuminated just enough of the room to see, but also allow the boys to sleep.

When Widow stopped in front of her, Emma slowly looked up. His eyes were dark, shadowed pools of chocolate that made her tongue trace along her bottom lip without thinking. The action drew his attention, his head tilting slightly one way, then the other before he reached out with one hand and grasped the fingers of her left hand. He tugged her toward him, and when she willingly followed, he guided her toward the bathroom, then stepped inside and gently nudged the door until it was almost shut.