B*tches of Honor

Boisterous chatter and lively music permeated the atmosphere of the vineyard, but the only sound I could hear was my pulse hammering in my ears as Hunter and I approached my father and Carly. 

Carly was gaping up at my father lustfully as we approached, the two of them seeming to be in their own little world amongst the crowd, though her affectionate gaze quickly dimmed as her eyes fell on me and Hunter. 

Yeah, this wasn't pleasurable for me either. 

My father hadn't noticed us approaching yet, and I took the time to study him, not having seen him in person for quite some time. 

Most of his features remained the same - azure eyes and chocolate brown hair like Ariana, though his had taken on some notes of gray, and a tall, lean frame that filled his crisp, black suit. 

The only discernable difference was the gleam in my father's eyes, an unquestionable spark of elation that I had never seen before. 

Maybe I should have felt happy for him, or even contended, at the fact that he was so joyful, but the gleam in his eyes only made my heart pang with sadness.  

To me, that gleam signified that he had no qualms about his betrayal. 

And although I had already known that, it stung to see it right in front of my face. 

Hunter squeezed my hand softly as we reached them before letting go, a silent reminder that he was here, but I could do this on my own. 

"Hi, Dad," I voiced, straining to keep my tone level as I stood before the bitches of honor. 

Shifting his gaze from Carly, who had pretended she hadn't seen us, my father beamed when he noted my presence. 

"Layla! I'm so glad you made it," he exclaimed, drawing me in for a hug that caught me off guard. I tensed in his arms before pulling back, not having embraced him since I was a child. 

Sending him a timid smile, I turned to Carly, who flashed a picture-perfect smile in my direction, though her eyes glinted with maliciousness. 

"We missed you at the ceremony," my father claimed. "You would have loved it." 

God, how removed from reality he was. 

Carly nodded, feigning concern as she placed a manicured hand against her chest. 

Restraining to roll my eyes, I shifted to the side and placed my hand on Hunter's arm to introduce him. 

With a nervous smile, I announced, "Dad, Carly, this is Hunter. My boyfriend." 

My father stiffened at the last word, clearly not expecting that. 

Yeah, asshole. You didn't completely fuck up my ability to love.

My father's gaze shifted to Hunter, raking over his broad, intense form. 

Clearing his throat, Hunter stepped forward and firmly shook my father's hand. "Nice to meet you," he declared, his demeanor completely changing from when he met Ariana. 

 Now, Hunter was all business, shifting from my charming boyfriend to a kingpin in an instant. 

Releasing his grip, my father sent Hunter a tight-lipped smile, but I didn't miss the way he looked him up and down disapprovingly, especially when he noted the ink adorning his arms. 

As if he was in any position to have an opinion on character. 

As Hunter stepped back, he greeted Carly with a firm nod in her direction. She certainly didn't have the same reaction as my father as she gazed at Hunter, her eyes slowly trailing over his figure in a way that made me tick.