Chapter Seventeen: Rules of the Game

Rules of the Game

Gwen-Stacey knew she was asleep because even though she was in an entirely dark space, it was not the normal dark space of her everyday existence. This space was devoid of everything: sound, light, life. It was the perfect black of complete and total nothing.

Nothing in the real world was ever this empty - there were always sounds, smells, sensations to feel and react to. There was none of that here. It could only be a place of Morpheus's creation. She stood and waited patiently for the dream god to appear.

She'd spent all day thinking about this moment and even if she wanted to freak out a little bit, her stubborn nature wouldn't give Morpheus the satisfaction. Sure, she wasn't a dream god, but she had a brain and a fantastic imagination. Besides, she hadn't spent most of her life either reading or listening to all kinds of romance not to know a thing or two about creating an erotic fantasy. The trick was creating something that would appeal to a man like Morpheus.

What would a man, or god in this case, like him beg for? That had been the million-dollar question she'd been trying to answer all day. Even if she didn't readily know the answer to the question, the important thing was for her to remain calm and outlast him. Eventually, she would figure out what made him breathe a little harder, break out into a sweat, and then she'd have him.

Morpheus appeared before her. She couldn't see him at all, but she felt his distinct heat signature sweep across her sensitive nerve endings. She would know him anywhere at this point.

"What is this place?" she asked, more than a little curious. It wasn't exactly what she'd been expecting when she'd fallen asleep tonight. She'd been so rankled most of the day that she'd finished work early, passed on dinner at CPK (California Pizza Kitchen) with Marisol, and headed straight home without deviating a bit. She'd nuked herself a Lean Cuisine pizza then took a long shower as she tried to get her game plan ready for tonight.

What Gwen-Stacey didn't know was that Morpheus had spent his entire day watching her. He watched her work like a madwoman to clear her afternoon, so she wasn't stuck working another twelve hour day. He'd listened to her get out of dinner with her best friend, though she loved CPK Thursdays and looked forward to it every week. And when she'd eaten cardboard for dinner instead of real food, he'd felt a little guilty. Still, it was the forty-five minute shower that had threatened to undo him entirely.

He'd seen all manner of naked women and goddesses. He'd watched them bathing in springs, waterfalls, rivers, bubble baths, any and all water sources that one could imagine. He wasn't some kind of peeping tom, it just so happened most women dreamed about bathing at one point or another. This was again one of the stark differences between the sexes - women loved being clean but also enjoyed getting dirty in clean places, whereas men didn't give a shit one way or another most of the time. But something about watching Gwen-Stacey going through the motions of her normal routine and standing under the hot spray for practically an hour had aroused him to the point of pain.

He'd created thousands of scenarios between people in showers, and never once had he felt more than a passing interest for what people did in them. Tonight, watching Gwen-Stacey passing the soapy loofah across her bare stomach, down her long legs, or reaching across her back had awaken a desire in him that hadn't bothered to surface in so long, he'd assumed he was past such urges.

Not the case.

Perhaps it was her utter lack of concern for her outward appearance and her intense focus on what was ahead tonight that did it for him. Maybe it was the way the water sluiced down her neck, trailng down the rest of her body in thin, bubble laden rivulets. Shit. Maybe he was just horny. It wasn't like that part of him had shriveled up and died. It was most certainly alive and kicking...right now as a matter of fact.