Chapter 28

Dear Barbara,

It's been almost a week gone since you left for the academy, yet I could not find it in my heart to hold myself back any longer from writing to you—despite the constant reminder from Anthony. Before you get bored and toss my letter away, I wanted to apologize because I might ramble a lot in this letter, dear.

How are you doing there, my love? I suppose things might not go as smoothly as I prayed it to be. Please talk to Hilda in case anything bad happens to you, or if someone is bothering you—She will keep you safe.

I heard that you are in the same room with young Becca? She's a good lady, that one, and it's a huge relief that she took after her father rather than her Mother; just don't call her Becca, and you are clear to go. I seemed to recall that she was annoyed whenever her friends called her by that name, so you might want to take caution in that regard.

Are you eating well there? From what I recall, the house's food was good, but just in case it did not suit your palate, you can find one of those students who had little dealings outside the academy. It's befuddling how they can smuggle so many snacks and strange things into Troph. If you need money for the billing, then just leave it in my name, you can do just that, and you don't have to hold yourself back, my dear.

How about your study? Even though I know you're a smart girl, it doesn't mean that everything will come off easily. Everything will feel different and strange, with lots of new things that you have to remember and take notice of...Merely thinking how hard it will be, makes me want to go there even at this instant when I can only give you this letter that will soon turn cold. And that often makes me lose my sleep.

My dear, do you remember what you said on the day of your departure? When you said I could ask Anthony about your past. Had I known earlier about all the things you've been through, I would have done more to you, cooked lots of delicious and warm food, hugged you tighter than ever, and gave you kisses should night come in place of your precious parents. I regretted that there was no courage left within me to ask you sooner instead of spending my night in tears after I came to learn everything.

But more so than my regrets, I am thankful for the mere fact that you have come into our life—Again, just for that, I can not thank The Great Mother enough. Sorry for the smudges, my dear. I've always been a crybaby ever since my young age, and Hilda always teased me back when we were children because of that. It's just you remind me so much of my late friend...and that breaks my heart deeply.

Before this letter is doused further by the tears, I will talk about something else for my own good. How's FIltiarn and Ouranos? I know Filtiarn usually follows you around, so I have no worries about him, but I want to remind you about Ouranos. As he is an Aetos, it will be better for you to spend more time with him in his much younger days—because raising the affinity with an adult Aetos will be a whole load harder. You don't have to play with him every day, but now and then, just take him to fly around the academy for a while, and it will do the job. And also, don't forget to give him a treat while you're at it. I specially made them with his taste in mind, so Ouranos'll be sure to relish them.

By the way, our Sarah kept asking about you and Filtiarn. When will you come, where are you, what are you doing. The same goes for that husband of mine. He was worried about how you're faring the life there, although he didn't show it because he was clearly embarrassed. Anthony can be that adorable and silly sometimes. All of us miss you dearly and can't wait for the next break when you come home. But first thing first, I think we will be delighted if there's a reply back to this letter...