Chapter Six

The cool, night air danced across my exposed skin, making my arms prickle with goose bumps. I regretted my decision to let mother squeeze me into this ridiculous dress, feeling as if I was wearing nothing at all. I had long since abandoned the six inch heels, leaving them on the side of the road, refusing to wobble around in them for even a second more. My bare feet scraped across the rough concrete as I dragged myself along the side of the never ending road. I wasn't entirely sure where I was going, knowing only that I couldn't go back to that mess I had left behind.

My shadow stretched out before me as two bright headlights lit up the dim street from behind. The roar of a powerful engine filled my ears as the lights drew closer. I stopped moving and bowed my head and waited for the vehicle to pass. I couldn't risk being seen. The sound of the engine faded away, but the lights remained. I couldn't fight the curiosity growing within me and dared to glance up. In front of me was a black car pulled up in the middle of the street. The windows were darkened and I could not see who was inside. I began to worry that someone from the party had chased me down, but the car looked too plain for a Blonde. No fancy hood ornaments, or crazy lights, or electric coloured rims. Just simple, dark black.

I stared into the windows, wracking my brain to find some sort of answer as to who it may be inside, but nothing came to me. The tinted glass of the window began to slowly disappear inside the door, revealing a Grey, looking at me with the same disinterest displayed by most others of her title. She didn't look much older than me.

The Grey spoke in a quiet voice, "do you need a ride?"

I was taken aback by such a bold offer from someone like her and shook my head, not moving from my spot.

"I'll take you anywhere you want to go," She offered again and once more I politely refused.

I turned to walk away and looked at the empty street around me. It occurred to me that I had no idea where I was, nor how to get home.

I reluctantly returned to the window of the car and spoke in a steady voice, "North side, on High Street."

The window rolled up and door swung open for me to climb in next to the Grey, who had shifted to the other end of the back seat. I shut the door behind me and she gestured to the driver who sped of instantly, his face shrouded in the darkness of the night.

I relaxed into the worn seats of the car, letting out a sigh, though I wasn't sure if it was in relief or resignation. I tilted my head to the side so I could see the Grey girl, "My name's Verity by the way.

She continued to stare straight ahead, refusing to acknowledge my introduction.

"So are you still in school?" I tried again, but she didn't so much as flinch.

I rolled my eyes, turning my head to look out the window as the city flashed by me in a blur. My eyelids felt heavy and I let them droop closed, trying to forget about the entire night.

Lights flashed and visions danced before me. Loud music pumped through giant speakers, sending vibrations through my chest as I waded through the sea of people. Shouting and laughter filled the air until my eardrums burst and everything went quiet. I found myself pressed against a cold brick wall, Logan standing before me, covered in blood. He was yelling but no one was looking at him, which only made him yell more. Everything went dark until I could only see myself, reflected in a broken shard of glass. My green eye was growing bigger and bigger until it was about to burst.

My eyes snapped open, sweat dripping down my forehead, my heart racing. I took a few deep breaths, remembering where I was. The car was still moving and I wondered how long I had been asleep. I opened the window wide to let some fresh air into my lungs and began to panic. The scenery was completely unfamiliar. On either side of us were crumbling industrial buildings with only a few flickering street lights to see by. I had never been here before and was sure it was nowhere near my house.

"I'm sorry," I said to the Grey, who remained in the same position she had been when I had shut my eyes, "but I think you misheard me. I live on High Street, in the North end."

Once again I was met with stony silence.

"We're going the wrong way," I yelled, irritated at this complete disregard of my existence, but still she said nothing.

I suppose it was a little too late for me to decide that I was not safe here, but I was not willing to stick around to see how much danger I was truly in.

I grasped at the door handle, trying to yank it open. The car was moving fast, but one of Father's stunt doubles had once taught me how to tuck and roll. It would hurt, but it was still safer than sitting around doing nothing. The door didn't budge and, as I struggled with the useless handle, the driver raised the window, closing off my one remaining connection to the outside world. I pounded my fists against the window but it was no use, I was trapped. Throughout this whole ordeal the Grey sat absolutely still. It was only the slight flick of her hand as a gesture to the driver that proved she was still capable of movement.

A putrid smell assaulted my nostrils and the air began to taste sour. Time itself seemed to slow down as bile rose in my throat and I began to gag. My body seemed to fill with lead and I found it difficult to move. The world was spinning around me and I couldn't figure out which way was up. 'Was the car rolling down a hill?' I wondered. Maybe I was dying. My vision blurred around the edges and my a constant, irritating buzz filled my ears. Then, as if at the end of one of my father's movies, everything faded to black.