Chapter 48

18th August 2019

SHAY

Noah and Renee were captured yesterday.

The ISA has taken them to a separate questioning room, after which they would be tried at court. Since the ISA suspects me of being closely involved, I'm allowed to witness the court proceedings and answer the questions that may be directed towards me.

I swallowed. Isaac told me that I would be fine and that Noah and Renee were the ones who would suffer the most. As if that made things better.

"But, what will happen to Noah?" I'd asked him worriedly.

Isaac's face darkened. "You'll know soon, Shay. I can't reveal the details."

It wasn't exactly reassuring, but this was what Isaac was willing to offer me. That, and a soft hug.

I arrived at the Court of Spirit Law at dawn, and I was ushered in by higher Spirits to the place Noah and Renee were in.

The court resembled a ballroom, with high glass ceilings, and white pedestals for Higher Spirits to sit upon. Wooden chairs were arranged into rows, for Spirits like me and I was asked to sit upon one of them.
Not many people were present, just a few higher Spirits, Noah, Renee and Lord Augustus.

Today, Lord Augustus wasn't a beam of light. He was in his lower form, his bald head shining in the light of the room, his pasty, cruel face watching Noah and Renee, who stood before him.

Noah's face was ashen, his eyes darting and clinging onto the slightest movements in the room. Renee, on the other hand, stood extremely still, observing Lord Augustus as if he were a lab specimen.

I wondered what was going on in their minds.

Madame Irene was something like an advocate, presenting the court case to Lord Augustus, and asking Noah and Renee the questions. Hopefully, madame Irene would be fair, she was friends with Claudius after all.

"Good Morning to one and all here. We are gathered here to discuss the crimes of Spirit Guide Noah Stark and Human Renee Durvont."

I noticed that the ISA didn't recognise Noah as a Higher Spirit and Renee as a Highest Spirit. Thankfully, Noah kept his loud mouth shut and refrained from correcting her.

"Noah Stark has been convicted of multiple crimes. The notable ones include, in order of initiation:
Providing illegal Spiritual Knowledge to a human, under Act 24 of SPC.
Creating an illegal Realm, under Act 378 of SPC.
Illegal Ascension to the 9th Dimension, along with a human, under Act 389 of SPC. The remaining details are provided to you, Lord." She pointed towards the file, which Lord Augustus was now reading.

Noah swallowed. It was clear that he was in big trouble now.

"Noah Stark, do you admit to committing these crimes?" Madame Irene asked, her voice booming with authority.

"I don't remember doing anything," Noah answered. "It's all blurry in my head."

I had to stop myself from gaping at him in disbelief. He had decided to lie to the court?

Lie to Lord Augustus?

"Noah Stark, did you understand the question?" Madame Irene asked, sounding confused.

"Yes, Lady Irene," Noah looked straight at her. "I had no clear intent to do any of these actions. Nor do I recollect doing them."

Madame Irene blinked. She then turned towards Renee.

"Renee Durvont, do you have any memory of committing these crimes?" Madame Irene asked.

"No, Madame Irene. I do not remember anything either," She said confidently.