Chapter 1: How It All Began

Chapter 1

***TESSA'S POV***

"Tess! You ready?"

I heard Cary yelling up the stairs to me as I was pulling my dark red jean shorts on. It seemed to go well with my too big off white sweater. My shorts peeked out of from the bottom of my sweater.

"Coming!" I shouted down the stairs. I quickly brushed my teeth and raced downstairs. I grabbed a water bottle, a bagel, and my purse. I met Cary in the doorway as I heard stumbling footsteps on the front porch.

"Sh*t..." I mumbled. Lucas was home. He fell in the doorway and made then room fill with the stench of alcohol. He always came home like this. Well, ever since my mom remarried to this guy and started ignoring him. Now, we lived with a work-a-holic and an alcoholic. Best. Life. Ever. Hint the sarcasm.

As my step-father staggered over to Cart and I, he was cursing and slurring nonsense. I watched him with cautious eyes. I was scared at what he might do next. I've been beaten many times when he comes home like this. So has Cary.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by a foot in my ribs. I clenched my teeth and crumpled to the ground into a ball.

"Tess!" I heard Cary cry and then a thud next to me. I recognized that thud as Cary.

"St-stupid b*tches.." Lucas slurred. He kicked my shin and even though it was softer than the kick that came in contact with my ribs, it still hurt a lot.

I heard refrigerator door open and close, along with the rattle and chime of beer bottles.

I groaned as I tried to pick myself up off of the floor without hurting my ribs. I gnomes the pain and helped Cary get up and clean her cut that she had on her forearm. I put Neosporin on it and placed a Band-Aid on it. I kissed her cut and asked her if it felt any better. She nodded, playing along with my joke.

We left the house and went to the local mall. Even though we didn't have a whole lot of money, we went there just to get away from Lucas and the bad memories. I felt like the mall was the only place where I was safe. As strange as it is that my safest place was a public building full of crack dealers, they didn't hurt me.

Cary and I window shopped for a while and popped into Jack Wills. We know we won't be able to buy ANYTHING in there, but we go anyways. We head to the back towards the clearance rack and start shuffling through them.

"Lou! Hurry up! We're leaving!" I snap my head towards the dressing rooms. My wavy brown shoulder length hair flew over my shoulder. ***A/N picture on the side of who plays Tessa***

I watched the dressing rooms to see a sandy brown haired boy in stripes, known as 'Lou', leave the dressing rooms followed by a boy with a brown head of curls and piercing green eyes. I followed Cary up past the registers.

We left the mall and headed home. I dreaded home. I would've wanted to live anywhere but there.

I walked in the door to be suddenly met with harsh hands grabbing my shoulders and throwing me into the living room. I landed with a thud on my face. I heard Cary give a shriek and a thud and I could tell that she was beside me on the floor. I sat up to see Lucas, glaring at me and Cary, obviously twice as drunk as before. He was red in the face and you could tell that he was completely pissed. If he was a cartoon character, he would have steam coming out of his ears and you would see the speech bubble full of punctuation marks.

I looked down to see his hand gripping a cane. 'No.' I thought. My life was about to take a nasty turn. I closed my eyes waiting for the impact. I heard a door open a slam shut. I felt the searing pain of the cane hitting me in the stomach. I curled up, holding back tears. I wasn't letting him have that satisfaction. I opened my eyes to see him with the cane about to bring down on me again. I squeezed my eyes shut, bracing. I waited for what felt like a couple minutes. He would never wait that long to beat me or Cary. I opened my eyes to see my mom holding the cane and yelling at Lucas. I heard the sound of car doors closing and a mixture of sirens. My mom had called the police.