Chapter 12

Mia

The next morning I wake up early for absolutely no reason. I sigh, looking at the clock on my phone, 6:49 am. The one day I can sleep in and my body doesn't cooperate. 

I scroll through social media, pulling up and "liking" the photos friends have posted from last nights party. I chuckle at one of Liam on the floor making a snow angel out of bubbles. I wonder what sort of mess he must have over there this morning and I debate calling Marley to ask if they need help cleaning up.

I'm about to log out when I come across a photo that makes me freeze.

It's a selfie of Kimmy. She's holding the phone out in front of her, smirking flirtatiously. But she's not alone. A boy is laying across her, passed out, and his face is resting, apparently quite comfortably, right on her boobs.

That boy is Cole.

I take a deep breath, swallowing the lump in my throat. I screen shot the picture and text it to Cole without adding a message. I lay back onto the bed and squeeze my eyes shut. I allow myself to wallow for a few minutes before deciding that laying in bed being miserable isn't going to help anyone. I drag myself out of bed and call Marley to offer to come help clean up.
..

Marley and Liam are also up early cleaning the remaining disaster before his parents come home. When I walk in the door Liam is crawling across the floor with several towels. He looks up at me and dramatically whines "Why do I do this to myself!" He plops down and rolls over onto his back and sighs, soaking his shirt in soap residue. I laugh and grab a towel, calling out to Marley, "Mars! Man down in the kitchen!"

Marley comes in holding a mop. Her hair is in a messy bun on her head and she's wearing Liams shirt over her swimsuit. The sleeves are rolled up and she's cinched it in at the waist using a tie to make it more fitted. If anyone can make hangover look chic, it's Marley.

"Mia! thank god you're here. This is a disaster!" I smirk and nod my head towards Liam whose still lying on the floor. Marley looks over, sighs, and says "Maybe I should join him."

"No!" I laugh, slapping her with my towel. "Liam get up!" We've got work to do.

After the floor is  mopped and dried we pass around garbage bags to begin cleaning up the trash. Liam looks over at me and says "Where's Cole, Mia? I figured he would still be with you."

"Yeah" says Marley. "I saw you guys dancing last night, things were getting hot" she fans herself.

I roll my eyes and pull my phone out of my pocket. Still no response from Cole. I open up my photo album to the screen shot I took this morning and hand it to Marley.

"WHAT THE FU—" Marley shouts, interrupted by Liam, who, looking over her shoulder says "oh shit."

"I'm going to kill him!" Marley fumes. She starts pacing across the floor and rants. "That snake! Who does he think he is? Big bad baseball star thinks he can get away with this?! I DON'T THINK SO!" She takes a deep breath in and very seriously says, "Like the Dixie Chicks said, Cole has to die."

"I think it was Earl, actually" I repute.

"Well it should be Cole!"

"Wow, your scary when your mad, babe" Liam pipes in. "It's hot."

Marley stops pacing and turns toward us. "Be serious Liam! This is so so wrong. Mia I am so sorry." Marley leans in and hugs me.

"I'm sure there's a good explanation" Liam adds.

Marley elbows him.