Chapter Twenty-Nine

Izuku had finally had enough. Two days later, he was come from school expecting the wilting Lavender to be gone, but instead there was a fresh bunch. So, he waited, hoping that would be the final.

He was wrong. 

A month - a whole forsaken month - the Lavenders taunted him more than Fake Mama. Right, yeah, the women who had momentarily gone away was back, and tarnishing his comforting memory of Lavender. 

 But it didn't matter for long. Today was probably his last one. Tomorrow was the court date, and although the conversation about what was going to happen wasn't a fun one, Izuku would have preferred they hadn't told him at all. 

His Papa always got his way, and although his Unkie had said he wasn't going to leave Izuku, the boy couldn't help but doubt those words. 

Hitoshi had grown closer to his Unkie and Uncle, and they always looked so happy together. Like a perfect family. And Izuku didn't hate them for that, not at all, the boy couldn't find it in himself. But he was like a smudge on a photograph - and those photo's are never hung.

So he knew his Unkie probably felt sorry for him, felt an obligation because he was his sisters son. If his Unkie's full heart wasn't in on keeping Izuku, he'd lose him.

Izuku looked to where dull, green, eyes and a twisted sneer flashed in the corner of his eyes before returning his glare to the Lavender.

He hated them - hated them so much.

"Izuku." He looked to his Uncle, who frowned and pointed to his plate. "You haven't eaten." Looking to his plate, Izuku confirmed his Uncles statement, and pushed a smile onto his face. He was getting pretty good at that. "S-Sorry! I wa-was th-thinking." 

Hizashi smiled softly, picking up his own plate and ruffled his hair as he past to the sink. Sympathy. Izuku had grown to hate that look, that tone of voice. The way people hid their faces, or treated him as though he'd break.

"Don't worry 'bout tomorrow, your Unkie Sho is talking to the Lawyer now for last details, it'll be fine." And yet, no promise. 

Nodding, Izuku forced the meal down his throat, ignoring the side glances he got from Hitoshi. He'd gotten a little better at telling what the boy was feeling mind that, and realised he was relatively like his Unkie. If he could understand Shouta, Hitoshi would be easy.

Once he was done he propped his plate besides Hizashi, offered to help clean, before scurrying off to his room at the shake of his head. 

Paws hopped off the sofa in favour of following him, rubbing her tail on his leg even as he walked. Once the door clicked shut behind him, the smile slipped and he scooped up the just-gone-kitten, curling up on the beanbag. 

He wondered what life would be like with his Papa. It had been three years, and he'd changed, so his Papa probably had. Plus he had his two other children, so presumably his other wife. They looked older than him, had him and his Mama not been enough?

The seven-year-old couldn't figure it out.

His eyes landed on his desk, where an envelope sat. He had thought it was from Kacchan, the scribbled hand writing had been the same, but when he opened it the name that sat at the bottom had been Airi Midoriya - his Papa's son.

He knew each detail of the letter off by heart, the words burning into his brain as he read it over and over and over. It wasn't mean, or harsh, or said a bad word to him at all. 

No, it was a simple, happy, run down on Airi's life. About how he lived with his Mama and Papa and was so happy Papa was able to spend the last few years with them instead of at work. About he was going to be a Hero with his Quirk. About how he cuddled with his Mama and Papa on Saturday Nights when they watched movies and ate popcorn. About how he was excited for Izuku to come and live them. About how 'weird' it was Izuku was Quirkless and how his Papa said Izuku would make Airi stronger.

His Papa had left Izuku for a better life. He'd made Izuku's Mama sad because he had another family. A better family.

Izuku dragged his eyes away, opening his computer and ignoring the lengthy 'good luck' messages from Kisan, putting a movie on. 

He wasn't really focusing, and so when he heard shuffling in the hallway outside, he climbed to see what was going on. He opened his door to see his Unkie with his hand raised, ready to knock.

Smiling, the man crouched. "Sorry I wasn't here for dinner. Do you want me to read to you?"

Usually Izuku would have said no - especially when he saw his Uncle slip into Hitoshi's room, but tonight might be his last night. It's not like he'd ever not wanted to be read to, he loved it, but he didn't want to be a burden. But this was his last chance.

So he nodded. 

============

Sorry this chapter is kind of boring, I'm just preparing for the next few Chapters. 

I'm also not a lawyer, nor do I study law at school, so I have NO IDEA how accurate the next chapter will be. So please don't judge!! :)