Chapter 12-Nervous

Sean Pov

I wonder what has happened that the head of the Academy is coming over to my place of all places. I began running different thoughts through my mind as Owen barked out orders to the guys. I went to pick up my cup to get something to drink. I needed some caffeine to be awake to handle this change of events.

“Dr. Green, Mr. Lee, please follow me into the office” Owen said. As we follow him into the office, he closed the door behind him. I sat in one of the chairs and Kota sat in the other one.

“Alright Owen, spill it. Why are they coming? I can't think of anything that we have done that will cause them to come here. Unless they are bringing us a gift.”

Walking to the desk to open the computer, he said "Mrs. X called to see where our family was at this time and what we were doing. I told her we were in the middle of a family meeting discussing a birthday party for Luke, and we were discussing using Emily Sway and her business for assistance. She told me to stop the meeting and they will be over here in 30 minutes to have an emergency meeting with us.” 

While typing on the computer he continued “Mr. Lee, I have pulled up our current mission reports and do not see any discrepancies. Please look over them again and make sure I did not miss anything and that there are no errors on my reports."

Kota got up and moved to the computer. As he sat down, Owen continued "If all is in order, inform the guys to come back into the living room when they are done cleaning. I want to make sure we are all on the same page when they come."

"Yes Mr. Blackbourne” Kota whipped out his phone and sent a group text.

“Sean, come with me please.”

I followed Owen from the office and up the stairs to my guest bedroom. I knew he was nervous and worried now because he started pacing and rubbing the bridge of his nose as I closed the door behind me.

"Sean. I really don't know what they want with us. We have two missions coming up and one is 3 weeks long. Between them working at the Diner, missions, Luke's Birthday and Sang's anniversary approaching, we are stretched thin. If they ask for another mission, I'm not sure we can do it. I hate to disappoint them or have them think of us as failing them in some way.”

“Owen, we have never failed them and they will not think that. We have been taking on more assignments to pay down the debt we incurred with Sang. I'm not saying it was a bad thing or something I would not do again, it's just we are trying to put our team and personal accounts back in the black."

"We all know this and that the point of this afternoon was to just chill out and relax before they went to the diner tonight. We have not done anything wrong and if they ask us something, we will discuss it as a family and vote as usual."

"As far as Luke’s birthday, let me call her and ask her to plan the whole day. That will take some stress off us about that. Let's worry about Sang when the time gets closer.”

There was a knock on the door and Kota entered.

“Mr. Blackbourne, all reports are correct and in order. The guys are waiting downstairs for you two.”

“Thank you Mr. Lee. I will be right down. Dr. Green has a phone call to make.”
Kota nodded and left the room. 

Owen stood and said "Thanks Sean. Let me know what Miss Sway says.” as he turned and walked out the room closing the door behind him. 

I reach for my phone to find Dr. Roberts text message with her phone number. I call her and Emily answered on the third ring.

“Events with Sway, this is Emily, how can I help you?” she sounded a little worried.

“Hi Emily, this is Sean. How are you doing?"

“Oh,” she seemed to relax at my announcement “I'm fine Sean.”

With a smile in her voice she asked, "Are you trying to see what my ideas are?"

Laughing I said "Why would I do that?”

“Because I have the feeling you and Gabe are like excited kids who can't wait to have fun and cause mischief.”

“Busted. Can't blame me for trying. I wanted to see if you can plan something for him for the whole day. I know we said just a dinner this morning, but we have so much going on, we just can't. We know it's a last minute change so if you need more time to come up with something, we understand.”

“Let me see, I know we have a short time frame. I may need to talk to you, or someone in your family, for a sounding board to bounce ideas off of tomorrow morning. If I can do that, I will be able to have it ready tomorrow evening for the whole day.”

“I will text you Gabe's phone number. You can text or call him. He will be more than happy to help.”

“With his help, I can get your proposal complete by tomorrow evening. I have an event tonight at The Spot so I will not start until tomorrow. I will call you when I'm done. Then you and your team can come over and hear the proposal. Will that work for you?”

“Yes, we are all free anytime after 6:30 in the evening tomorrow.”

“Ok. How about this. Why don't you guys meet me at my office at 7pm tomorrow night. I will provide dinner and you guys can hear my ideas. I will leave you in the conference room and you can decide then.”

“Sounds good to me. There will be nine of us and we are all males so we can eat."

Laughing she said "It's a great thing that I can cook. Alright, I will see you guys Sunday evening. Oh is there anything anyone is allergic to?”

“Nope. We can eat anything.”

“Alright. I will see you guys tomorrow evening. Have a good afternoon and good evening.”

“You too.” and I disconnected the call. That was a lot easier than I thought, I decided as I made my way downstairs. I walked into the living room and the guys were looking tense. My calm and relaxed feeling from just talking to Emily evaporated. Times like these is when I miss Pookie the most. She was able to keep everyone calm, collected and together. Owen looked up at me and I lean against the wall as Owen started talking

“Alright. Just to make sure we are all in agreement. Dr. Green, Mr Lee and myself will do the talking. Unless they ask you a question directly, do not answer anything and do not make any outburst. I have no idea why they are calling us in for a emergency meeting. We have done everything correctly and to the best of our abilities.”

Nathan says “Except for you, Dr. Green, Kota, and North, the rest of us have have never met the heads of the Academy. Why would they be coming?”

Just as Owen went to answer his question, we heard a car pull up. Luke, Gabe and Nathan run towards the window. I look at Owen and silently tell him we are alright.

“Wow. I want that truck only in red.” says Nathan

“Dude, that’s one mean looking truck. Bro, you need to come see this” Luke said.

“Its a four door with a hard cover top over the truck bed. I love the steel gray color on the truck. Its tough and mean, yet elegant at the same time. They have great taste." said Gabe.

I walk to the other window with Kota Silas, and Victor and see Dr. Roberts pull up behind them.

“Shit, Dr. Roberts is here too.” Gabe says. “North, don't start worrying or panicking.”

Victor turned to me and asked “you don't think it's about this morning do you?”

North is pale now and he visibly looks upset and scared. I have not seen him look like this in a while.

“North, are you alright?”

Owen reached out and placed a hand on North's shoulder as sign on comfort, and solidarity. He visibly relaxed.

“Yeah, I'm good. Its just been a while since I have seen them. They still look the same though.”

“No Victor I don't. I just got off the phone with Emily and she was fine. She sounded a little tired, but fine.”

Owen looks at me and asked me if we are good with her with his eyes. I lift my head up slightly confirming we were.

“We will discuss this after they leave Victor."

“Ok."

Just then Dr. Roberts got out of his car and they exited out of the truck. Dr. Roberts walked up to them and they started talking. Mrs. X looked distressed and her hands were shaking while Mr. X and Dr. Roberts talked.

“I wish I could read lips. I want to know what they are saying.” said Silas.

“Me too. Hey, you want me to see if I can get the cameras to pick up what they are saying?" asked Victor.

“Yes” shouts came from Luke, Gabe, Silas, and Nathan.

“No” booms North, Owen, and Kota.

Victor just shrugged and looked back out the window as Mrs. X came walking up the path. The guys rushed from the windows back to the living room as Owen, Kota and I walked to the door. The doorbell rang and Owen took a deep breath and opened the door.