Chapter 8

The next morning I met Xander in the training room for a sparring session. My head hurt, my bones ached and I started to think this was a bad idea.

"Rough night?" Xander's lip curled up into a smile.

"Hmm, something like that," I mumbled squinting my eyes, it hurt to see; the brightly lit room hurt my head.

"I've got something for you," Xander walked over to a table, I followed him, my interest was peaked. He turned to me holding out a sword with both hands.

"A sword?" I've never owned my own weapon before, I held back my excitement, and carefully took the sword from him.

"I had it specially made for you. This one should be easier for you to wield... and it's an amplifier" Xander said.

"An amplifier?!" I was no longer able to contain my excitement, I squealed with happiness. I slowly drew the sword from its sheath and held it out to admire the sword smith's impressive work. The whole sword looked as though it had been made out of gold; the blade's edge glistened in the light. I adjusted my grip getting a feel for the weight, not too heavy I thought. The grip felt as though it has been made for my hands only. The entirety of the sword from the pommel to the point of the blade was engraved with an intricate swirl and floral design; this must have taken a long time to make.

"Xander this is beautiful"

"I'm glad you like it. Why don't you try it out?" He held out a hand gesturing to the center of the room. I stepped a safe distance away from him, lifted the sword upright before slashing the blade down to my side in one swift motion. I let the magic flow through me and into the sword which glowed brightly. I could feel its power, my power radiating off the blade in deadly waves. On a battlefield, this weapon could take out multiple enemies with a single slash.

"Woah" I beamed at Xander who let out a little laugh.

"What are you going to name it?" He asked.

"I...I don't know" I feared no name would ever be good enough for a weapon as fine as this.

"What would you call it?" I asked as I withdrew my magic from the sword and sheathed it.

"Only you can name your sword. Don't let father know I got you this," He smiled softly. The King and the Queen would throw a fit if they heard that I, the Princess of the Light realm was training with swords in my spare time.

"I won't" I smiled appreciatively "Thank you."

"So are you ready to get your ass kicked?" Xander lifted two ordinary swords off the weapon wall and handed one to me.

"Oh, in your dreams!" I rolled my shoulders as I stepped onto the training mat.

We hadn't even sparred for an hour before I was panting out of breath and needed a break. I lay down on the cold ground dripping in sweat and breathing heavily. I didn't realize how out of shape I was.

"How was the meeting yesterday?" I recalled Azra saying he had been dismissed and now that I'm sober, I'm curious to know why.

Xander exhaled deeply "It could have been better" He shrugged.

"Did you reach an agreement?" I asked.

"We didn't even come close, the Kings don't trust each other, and they're not willing to join forces. Prince Azra was being particularly difficult." I suddenly perked up at that last part, at the mention of his name.

"Why?" I asked. No doubt Azra probably had a strop because he couldn't get his own way.

"He thinks we should invade the Mistlands and head to the void, to the source of the problem," Xander said as he sat down next to me on the floor.