Chapter 4.

Espresso woke up in a bed, sitting up quickly. "What the..I could've sworn I was dead for sure-?" Espresso got out of bed, feeling his body. "..I feel real..but-" He'd walk over to the mirror, touching his face. "I was supposed to die.." He'd look into his own eyes in the reflection of the mirror.

"If I didn't die, then..what about Madeleine..?" Espresso's eyes widened, running out of the house, looking around. Espresso noticed a large crowd, running over and pushing his way through impatiently. "Move! Get out of my way, where's—"
Espresso felt his heart stop as he stared down at the body on the ground. Limp and unmoving. "—Madeleine.."

Espresso could feel his heart stop. He could feel a wave of sadness crashing over him, drowning him in the process. Espresso felt tears stinging his eyes as he fell to his knees, pulling Madeleine into a tight hug. "Madeleine..Madeleine..!" Espresso began to sob, feeling Madeleine's warm body against his, closing his eyes. "Please.."
Everyone stared at the two, their eyes tearing up as well. "Espresso, I'm so sorry.." Latte knelt down, placing a hand on Espresso's shoulder.

Espresso continued to sob, until he felt like he couldn't anymore. But tears kept pouring from his eyes, petting Madeleine's hair. "Please come back..you have to.." Espresso begged and begged, but nothing happened.

Espresso mumbled into Madeleine's ear, his voice being interrupted by choked sobbing. "Please, Madeleine..I can't..live without you..!" He'd continue to beg, yet nothing.

"Espresso, we should take him to the hospital while he's still warm and breathing.." Herb suggested, looking away, tears rolling down his cheeks, his voice wavering.
"..Okay.." Espresso wiped his tears, but more just kept falling down his cheeks.

"Pure Vanilla and Clover can help take care of Madeleine, they're specialized in healing." Latte reassured Espresso, helping the man up. Espresso nodded, hugging Latte.

Latte hugged back, signaling for Pure Vanilla and Clover to take Madeleine to the hospital, humming softly to soothe Espresso. "It'll be alright.."

Espresso closed his eyes, slowly calming down. His sobbing turned into sniffles, pulling away from Latte. "Thank you.." He'd bow before walking off to the hospital.
Latte gave Espresso a gentle smile, waving.

Espresso waved back, stepping into the hospital, going to the room Madeleine was in and taking a seat next to the bed in a chair.

"Es..presso.." Madeleine weakly mumbled, opening his eyes. "Madeleine-!" Espresso instantly stood up, standing by the bed in Madeleine's view. "Heh.." Madeleine let out a weak laugh, holding out his hand. Espresso grabbed it and intertwined their fingers. "You're such an idiot.." Espresso mumbled.

Madeleine smiled. "I know.." The blonde took a deep breath. "..Did I ever tell you..my favorite kind of flowers..?" Madeleine looked into Espresso's eyes. "No, you didn't.." Espresso shared the gaze. "Yellow roses.." Madeleine slowly blinked. "I'll bring you yellow roses every day until you get better. You have to promise me that you'll be able to stand up and hug me one day..we have to go on our date still." Espresso squeezed Madeleine's hand gently.

"That sounds nice..I promise.." Madeleine laughed a bit, coughing afterwards. "Good..you better keep that promise. By the way, why did you drive us off the cliff..?" Espresso frowned. "..We lived in..a society where loving the same gender..as you was..highly hated..I wanted us to be..happy together, Espresso." Madeleine kept the same, weak, but strong smile.

Even though Madeleine knew he had a chance of dying, he still smiled. Madeleine smiled no matter what, and Espresso always hated that. Espresso could've sworn that Madeleine would be wearing a smile on his deathbed, they had always joked about that when they were younger.
Espresso wanted to be strong like Madeleine, he wanted to stand tall and smile just like Madeleine. He'd never admit it, but Espresso always wanted to, deep down.

"I love you, Madeleine. You better not break my promise or I'll never forgive you." Espresso could feel his eyes tearing up again, a few tears dripping down his cheeks. "Hey, don't cry..I'll be fine, don't worry.." Madeleine reached up, cupping Espresso's cheek.

Espresso leaned into the man's palm, nodding. "I'm trying..I don't know how you always manage to smile though.." Espresso kept crying. "Y'know..I couldn't afford to frown..because if I did, I'd be weak..I wanted to stay strong for you, Espresso.." Madeleine paused to take a breath. "..Even when I was sad..I kept my head up for you. You were my reason to smile.." Madeleine wiped Espresso's tears with his thumb. "Always smile, Espresso..no matter what.."

"Madeleine.." Espresso started sobbing, hugging Madeleine tightly. "I love you, Madeleine..I love you so much.." Espresso kept repeating that he loved Madeleine, sobbing into the man's chest. Madeleine ran his fingers through Espresso's hair, closing his eyes.

"I love you too, dork.." Madeleine pat Espresso's back. "You should get some sleep, you're probably tired.." Madeleine yawned. "I know I am.." The blonde man laughed weakly. "Okay..I'll bring you breakfast in the morning." Espresso sat up, wiping his tears, tucking Madeleine's hair behind his ear before standing up.

"Sounds good.." Madeleine mumbled before dozing off into sleep, snoring lightly. Espresso smiled a bit, walking back over to the chair and sitting down, leaning back.

Eventually Espresso closed his eyes and fell asleep as well.

———————————————————————————

A/N: Hello! I hope you're all having a good day/night so far. I wanted to let you all know that I am making up a plot as I go, so please don't get mad at me</3. I don't want people to lose interest, so I decided to add a huge plot twist to spice things up.
I'm so sorry if you don't like the way this story is heading, or if it's not to your liking, but I will be posting more Espresso x Madeleine books soon! So bare with me and please stay patient, I am trying my hardest right now.
Thank you to all the people who have been reading so far! :)

1013 words.