Capvt XXIII: Spiral of Truth

"I'M glad you're finally learning how to write and read, I assume."

Annabeth looked away from the scroll recording the creation of man (apparently Prometheus sculpted the first beings) she was copying and the writing tablet so that she could look at Piper. She apparently just stepped inside the open door connecting their chambers to the corridor. Her footsteps had been completely silent, which was strange since that one board under the doorframe always creaked.

"Percy started teaching me, before he left yesterday." She told her. A heartbeat later, she realized she had didn't need to offer an explanation. This was Piper after all, she didn't really care what she did during her freetime.

Piper whistled softly and flung herself into the chair, lounging in it like she were the queen or something. Annabeth bit back a smile. She must finally be getting through to her, that she didn't need to be so formal around her.

"He didn't take advantage of the fact you're his wife and his property -don't wrinkle your nose, you know it's true-, he's taught you how to fight, and now he's teaching you how to read and write? I'll be grateful if I catch a man half as good as he is to you."

She sat the writing tablet back up and placed the chalk to the board, running her fingers against it and feeling the grainy texture. Her fingers were white with dust as she put the chalk against the board and began copying the text again. Isn't εροςa kind of love?

"Don't worry. I'm sure someone will at least be willing to handle your ego sometime before you turn thirty, Piper."

"The sarcasm is not appreciated, Annie."

She raised her eyes from her careful handwriting."But that wasn't sarcasm. It was logic."

"Oh my gods, he's worn off on you. Where's our innocent little Annabeth gone?"

She paused between the "Ρ" and the "Ο", the oddly comforting sound disappearing. She hadn't even finished writing the "Ο". "I think she grew up on us all and disappeared."

Piper's eyes changed from blue to a pale gray, and her face twisted down. Annabeth didn't know if she was frowning or grimacing. "You've changed so much it scares me a little. I've always seen you as someone who needs protection from the enemy- whether that be reality or a physical person. Sometimes even yourself. Now . . . well, you've always been strong, but this is different. I can't tell you how glad I am to know a person like you."

She tilted her head. "I wouldn't be who I am today if there aren't people like you or Percy out there."

Piper smiled slightly and stood. "I'll be back later. I've got to fold these sheets."

Annabeth watched Piper leave the office, and sighed as soon as she was out of her sight. She looked down at her hands and closed her eyes, slumping into the uncomfortable chair.

That was odd. Piper wasn't really one who just confessed feelings right out the blue like that-it was almost out of character. She shook her head and dismissed the stray notion. She was probably thinking into things too much again.

Besides, it wasn't really out of character. Piper was one who normally poked and probed about her love life with Percy - which she didn't really understand anymore. She was beginning to feel something than what she suspected was more than simple friendship. It was something much more complex than that, and it made her feel both nervous and excited. Nervous because she didn't know if he returned her feelings, and excited because if he did, she wanted to find out what they meant.