Chapter 16: Fire's Hearth

Chapter 16: Fire’s Hearth (Apologies, but this chapter will probably not be the same quality as usually. I had difficulty writing Piifalo’s character without being repetitive, and it’s rather difficult to write when I’m not in the mood I guess. It’s just been a while since I updated. It will get better I promise!)

Piifalo

It towers above me, at least twice my size. Fiery smoke shoots out of its nostrils, burning the air around it.

Is this the same dungeon as when I entered with Ashas, before Daisuke took me away? The boar slings it’s halberd over its shoulder, bellowing with huge power. Yes, it is. I remember coming here with Ashas and the NPC, trying to retrieve the legendary sword. It slams its heavy weapon into the ground, digging the blade through the thick rock. But we failed, and Daisuke took me to the island to teach me. Now I’m back. He told me to come here to claim the sword, now I’m here.

The boar raises the blade back over it’s head, ready to strike. I glare back into it’s eyes. It’s eyes are a bloody, vicious red. It’s entire body shakes with massive strength, pouring out virtual hatred with every breath. Finally it makes it’s move. The boar fires its halberd straight for my skull. Acting purely on instinct I slip out of the way, just barely enough for blade to crash into the floor, scarcely missing my arm.

For a single second time freezes, the boar’s mouth is wide open, screaming out in rage from its missed attack. The blade remains buried in the floor. Devotion lays still in my hands as I stare sharply into the enemy’s exposed chest. Then, I blink.

By the time my eyes open, it’s over. My Devotion sits in the heart of the Boar, protruding out of its back. I look at my hands, my calm and serene hands. Not a single muscle shakes as I slide the sword out of my opponent. The boar explodes into a hurricane of glass.

“This power, I’ve had it all this time. I’ve hesitated. Hesitated to kill. But now…” I look at my hands, unshaken. “Now I can kill – I can win. I can protect everyone, its that simple.” I step forward into the next room without another word.

Suddenly my detection skill goes off in every direction. “Oh right, its you guys again.” It took only one of them spawning for my body to move on its own, sliding left or right, slipping between attacks. Before I even see the attack coming I’m gone, and so is my enemy. The entire battle lasted all of 40 seconds. My blade glided seamlessly through the lizards without a second thought, or even a first one for that matter. As my opponents fell before me it didn’t matter that I took their lives, it was pure instinct, without the idea of mercy slowing me down. The pained cries of the lizards did nothing but drive me to move faster. In my heart I knew that behind each shriek from my enemy was a cry of joy for someone else.

I continue down the path with little resistance. Each monster was not even worth my time. Ever since I realized my duty, and my power there was nothing that could stand in my way.

Finally, I’m there. The blade shines with an indescribable beauty, one that held power that only I, the hero of SAO could wield. Fireheart. The volcanic one sided claymore has properties fit to be used by someone on the 50th floor, and yet here it is before me, calling for me to draw it.

The weapon gleams with power and unbelievable potential. “With this I’m going to save the world,” I say with devout determination.

As I take my first step toward the sword, I hear a voice call out to me. “Stop right there! That thing is mine!” Somehow, I recognize the voice. A light, yet bold voice, belonging to a girl, but the name escapes me. I move ahead, disregarding the voice. “Hey!” she yells. “What are you doing? I’m warning you!”

“You’re too weak, whoever you are.” I stop walking for a moment to confront her. “If you take a step closer to me I’ll kill you without mercy. You’re getting in my way, do you understand?”

For a moment neither of us speaks. We wait in silence for the other to say something, but I begin to grow impatient. My leg slides forward less than an inch before she makes her move; a lightning fast step putting her between me and Fireheart. I thrust my Devotion straight forward, instinctively trying to kill. To my surprise she manages to slip to the side, and my sword only slices through the side of her shirt.

As the girl jumps back to a safe distance I can get a better look at her face. Long blonde hair and sharp emerald green eyes. She’s breathing heavily after that attack. She must have put a lot of skill into speed, and given up endurance for rapid movements. She’ll be an interesting opponent indeed.

“Hey, you’re pretty strong, but I’m not gonna let you take this sword! I need this more than you know. Once my friend gets here you won’t stand a chance.”

I sigh and spin Devotion in place. “You’re fast, faster than some other people at least, but you won’t last 3 minutes. Trust me.”

“Who the hell do you think you are?” She asks. “You think you’re strong enough to take me and my friend? Yeah right, let’s see if you can even beat me alone!”

I think about her words for a moment. “Who am I?” I repeat to her. “I’m the savior of Sword Art Online.

End of chapter 16. Sorry, its like I said in the beginning, this chapter may not be as good as the previous ones. I’ll try to pick it up next time though. This was more of a set up chapter honestly.