An unforeseen visitor.

Organising a ball was quite an undertaking Isabella decided as she checked the guest list for what must have been the tenth time. She knew that it was vital that all those of importance within society were invited as this event would reflect highly on Alexander. The food menus had been finalised and she had been in talks with the musicians, in addition to the mountain of other aspects that needed to be arranged. The only two things that were making the undertaking a little easier was the fact that Alexander's title opened many doors. Additionally, money was not an issue. When deciding to order from the best florist in town or the second best, the former was always possible.

However, the servants had not been eager to do her bidding at first. She had grown weary of their cold stares and rebellious refusals, but after the first week they seemed to be on her side. A kitchen maid had even complimented her on her "determination" that the ball should be a success. Thus, as the weeks quickly passed and the night of the ball drew close Isabella felt a sense of accomplishment.

Alexander had not wished to give his input into the proceedings stating instead that he was "confident" that she would make it a "triumph". She had blushed at his words and had later felt confused as to his lack of involvement. Since their meeting in his study, they had had little contact, apart from their brief conversations at dinner after which he quickly departed. If it wasn't for the long days she spent teaching Emma and organising the ball she would likely feel very lonely.

She had thought that Alexander seemed to avoiding her before she rationalised that perhaps he really was just extremely busy. The only time of note that he seemed to be in good spirits was during Christmas. He had left his work to spend Christmas day with Emma and Isabella for the first time in what seemed like an age. To Isabella's surprise and unencumbered gratitude, his Christmas gift to her with a horse called "Twilight" whom "Midnight" seemed to take a particular shine to. They rode out onto the estate on Christmas morning and things seemed to be easy between them for a time, before Alexander returned to his work once more and became distant.

The day before the New Years Eve ball finally arrived and there was a flurry of activity around the estate. Flowers and garlands were arranged and hung throughout the grand mansion, while craftsmen made the interior and exterior of the house look as opulent as possible. Some guests also began to arrive from afar to stay the night, so rooms were readied to provide the utmost comfort. While Isabella was in talks with Mrs Carter as to which of the arranged guests had already been settled into their rooms, a maid came scurrying forward and stopped before them. An anxious look pervaded her features and she seemed flushed.

Isabella turned to her "What is it Nancy?" "Ahh well...Miss it's just that there is a lady here...Ah Miss Spencer to be exact...and well she says that she would like to be shown to her room?". Isabella looked at her in confusion trying to recall the name in her head. "I don't think we expect a Miss Spencer...let me check". Isabella scrolled down the list of names before looking back to Nancy "Are you sure you got her name right? She doesn't even seem to be on the guest list!". Nancy blushed once more looking to Mrs Carter and the two of them shared a knowing look.

"Let me sort this Isabella" Mrs Carter announced before she strode off purposefully toward the door. Isabella looked on in confusion and soon she heard raised voices before a beautiful fair haired, tall woman strode into the entrance hall and exclaimed "Where is he?" annoyance suffusing her tone. Mrs Carter then bustled forward and stood in front of her "It's his grace to you, and he is engaged at present, please leave Miss Spencer, you have not been invited". At Mrs Carter's words her eyes blazed with annoyance and she strode past her and veered down the hallway in the direction of Alexander's study.

Without knocking she opened the door to his study and on entering promptly closed it behind her. Mrs Carter sighed in annoyance and left the scene, walking in the direction of the kitchens instead. All the while Isabella remained rooted to the spot wondering what on earth was going on. She spotted Nancy who was about to follow Mrs Carter and called her back.

Turning around to face Isabella it was evident that Nancy was conflicted, wondering whether to escape the scene or turn back. Before she had a chance to choose the former Isabella rushed forward. "Nancy! Who was that woman?". Nancy fidgeted with her hands, her eyes downcast. Eventually she whispered "I shouldn't say Miss, I may get in trouble!"

Taking Nancy's hand in her own Isabella said in a soothing voice "Don't worry Nancy; I won't speak a word of it to anyone". Nancy then raised her head and looked into her eyes before whispering "It's just gossip Miss, but one of the maids...well she said that Miss Spencer...well she's his grace's mistress... has been since he met her London a couple of years past". Gulping she looked into Isabella's shocked eyes "But promise Miss that you won't say I told ya". Isabella felt dizzy and she clung tightly to Nancy's hand. Her thoughts overwhelmed her as she tried to make sense of Nancy's words. "A mistress...all this time...but of course! How could you be so stupid you knew he was known to be a rake" she thought.  Sighing she looked into Nancy's imploring eyes "Don't worry...I won't say a word".