April 23rd, 1964 - The Girl Who Wished Upon A Star

"Her condition is getting worse, you heard the doctor," I could hear the maids talking through my bedroom door. 

I knew I didn't have much time. My fate was sealed the moment I was put on bed rest. Death was inevitable. It was written in the stars. 

I look out of my window at the starry sky, watching as they slowly crept across the indigo darkness beyond. 

As I gazed at the sky beyond, I saw a glimpse of light flash across the sky. A white flame careening into the void beyond.

"A shooting star," I whisper in excitement.   

Mother once told me that if you wish for a shooting star, your wish will come true. Head bowed, eyes closed, hands together, I kneel on the edge of my bed and wish. 

I wish to be whisked away from this world, for someone to come and take me to worlds beyond this sickness. 

A tear escapes my eyes as I look back up to the sky, pain searing through my body, my lungs seized and my vision goes spotty as the strength leaves my muscles. I land on the bed with a heavy thump. I've reached the point where even sitting up on my own takes a major toll on my body.  

I let out a strangled scream which was abruptly cut off as my throat closed completely. I could just barely make out the sound of my door banging open and multiple people shouting and swarming my tiny attic bedroom. 

Darkness crept at the edge of my vision, slowly consuming my view. I stared at the open sketchbook on my nightstand, until all I could see was black as I slowly fell out of consciousness. Looking for stars within the burning void I fell into. 

Pain and disease ebbed from my body as I opened my eyes to see a small, fiery-haired girl staring at me from the edge of my bed. 

I stared at her for a moment, "Ah! What in the world?!" I exclaimed, startled.

I look at the closed window and the locked door, "actually, out of this world," the girl remarked, opening a tattered brown sketchbook.

Confusion knits my brows as I watch her flip to a beautifully drawn picture of a kingdom floating above the clouds. 

"You asked for someone to get you out of this world, so here I am," she said with a bright smile. 

A stream of golden light shot out of the book, turning into what looked like a small thread hovering above the pages. As if she had, somehow, torn through the fabric of the universe. 

"You coming?" the girl's American drawl broke me out of my trance. 

I nodded and grabbed the hand she had extended to me.  Her warmth seeped into my cold fingers.  I lurched forward as she yanked me towards the golden rip in the fabrics of reality. 

Blinding light consumed me for a moment, and it felt as if I were floating through a golden sky. Neither flying nor falling, simply existing in golden white warmth. Until someone grabbed both my wrists and dragged me up. That same blinding light engulfed me once more as I fell ungracefully onto a patch of lush, green grass. 

"Woah, I thought I might've lost ya there!" the firey-haired girl laughs, collapsing on the grass beside me.

"That was, I mean," I was struck speechless, still dazed by the experience. 

"I know, sometimes I just sit between worlds," she nudges my shoulder and points at the golden sky that seemed identical to the void, "I call it Heaven's Void, the place between worlds." 

"It was as if the universe had peeled away," I remark, staring up at the golden sky. 

A small chuckle sounded from the redhead as she rose to her feet, pulling me up with her.