Chapter Three: Preparations and Interruptions

Luz

I awaken on the day of our anniversary a ball of pure excitement. I can't believe it's been a full month! I check my clock: it's 8 AM. I never naturally wake up this early, but my brain is going a hundred miles an hour thinking of everything I want to do with Amity to make today's date special.

I want to look nice for our picnic, however, my wardrobe consists of 2 crop tops, my school uniform, leggings, and shorts that go over said leggings. I sneak down the hall into Eda's room, careful not to wake her. Since making peace with the Owl Beast she's finally been able to sleep through the night, and I don't want to disrupt her. I slowly open her wardrobe, scanning it for anything that isn't too long for me. I want something that will look cute on a picnic, but not too nice or formal. I try on several outfits.

Too masculine.

Too dressy.

Too flowy.

Too feminine.

Too long.

Too... uhhh sexy??

God, why does Eda have all of this if she's going to wear the same red dress every day? I finally decide on a white collared button-down and tuck it into a dark black floral skirt. I slick back my hair and look at the finished product in the mirror.

"AHH!" I jump when my eyes aren't the only ones staring back at me in the reflection.

"Dang kid, you look nice! You meeting up with your girl today?" Eda asks with a smirk.

"Oh, sorry Eda. I'll take this off if you want."

"Are you kidding me?!" She looks at me incredulously. "Girl, you look GREAT, Blight's not even going to be able to function when she gets a glimpse of you! Keep the outfit, you look better in it than I ever did," she says with a wink. I give her a small smile at the compliment and blush at her insinuation. She sighs and hops up off her nest. "Well, I'm off to make my morning Apple Blood." She stretches, her back cracking. "What time are you meeting Blight?"

"Oh, I have a few hours. We're meeting at noon, and it's only-" I glance at my phone.

"TEN-THIRTY?!?!?!"

How long had I spent trying to pick out clothes????

"KIIIIIIING!!! WE GOTTA GO!" I burst into my room where he's still curled up on my cot, scaring him awake. "Geez, Luz can't a demon get some rest around here?" He goes to turn around and fall back asleep when I grab him by the scruff of his neck.

"NYEH!! OK, OK I'M UP!" He fights me to put him down, but I've already grabbed my bag of materials and am out the door. He crosses his arms and succumbs to his fate of being carried to our secondary location.

We arrive at Goblin Park and frantically get to work. "Ok King, we're an hour late for setup so we have to be quick about this. We need to put the picnic blanket over here, string lights here, and the basket of ghost bread here!" King scurries around placing everything up as I string up the lights.

"Then, over here is where I'm going to put together Amity's surprise. I just need to set up the mirror and-" I pause

"I FORGOT THE MIRROR!!!" I slap my palm to my face. King looks at me wildly, "WHAT? Isn't that like... the main component for-"

"YES!!!" I yell in exasperation as I attempt to hastily finish the lights and check my phone. I now have an hour to run to the Owl House and get back to finish setting up before Amity gets here. I'll be cutting it close, with her always being so punctual, but it's doable. King can see that I'm stressed, so he offers to finish placing out the plates for the picnic. I give him a quick scratch on the chin in thanks and begin the sprint back home.