|1| The Car Chase

This chapter is pretty short. 
The drawing up above is Phoenix.
This is book one of my Habromania series.
Takes place during The Titans Curse.

To be honest, this was not how I was planning my day to go.

I was kinda hoping to spend my day just leisurely strolling around town. Maybe eating some McDonald's. Possibly playing in the arcade with some coins I stole from some smelly 10-year-olds. 

Sadly, with me, things never go to plan. 

Because I was not having a nice, relaxing day. Instead, I was riding down the streets of Queens in a beat-up hippie van in the middle of a high speed car chase with four cop cars. Yeah, definitely not peaceful. 

To be honest, I don't even remember the events leading up to this moment. Only that one moment I was slurping down a slushie I got from some random Seven-Eleven, the next I had my foot on the gas of a van that looked vaguely like the Mystery Machine and smelled a lot like weed.

Honestly, it was a miracle my foot was even touching the gas. My height was pretty short for a thirteen-year-old.

The van felt like it was going to fall apart any minute. I glanced at my rear-view mirror seeing the cop cars slowly gaining on me. I really need to loose these guys. I turned the steering wheel sharply, the van swerved, and for a split second I thought it was going to tip over. Luckily it righted itself.

I glanced back again to see the cop cars attempt to do the same thing except they ended up crashing into each other. Good thing it didn't look to bad, just some dented metal. If someone got killed in that, I'm sure I would be charged with second-degree murder, and would not be having the usual quick in-and-out trip to juvie. Now there was only one car after me. I smirked that I could work with.

I punched on the gas some more, thinking of what my next move should be. I looked back again only to see nothing behind me. I felt like laughing, I had won. 

My smirk faded when I looked back in front of me to see a large blockade of cop cars. How had I missed that? My eye-sight isn't that bad.

I slammed on the breaks. The rattling sounds that came from the van were not pleasant. I shifted the gears and put the car in reverse.

Except the universe decided to say 'fuck you', as two cop cars blocked off the other end, leaving me trapped. Damn, I could only imagine how pissy Betty is going to be after hearing this.

-_-~-_-~-_-~-_-~-_-~-_-~-_-~-_-

"Why are you like this?"

I rolled my eyes, "Betty, darling, why would I know?"

Betty let out a loud groan, before setting a large folder down on the table I was currently hand-cuffed to. Betty and I had a sort of 'love hate' relationship. Betty hates my guts, but refuses to think any kid is a lost cause. She has an incredibly large stick up her ass, but all the same is extremely empathetic. 

"It took a lot of convincing to let you out. You know that?" And here comes the guilt-tripping. "The amount of paper-work I had to deal with. Phoenix, it hasn't even been a week since the last incident, what am I going to tell the court? They're getting impatient, honestly I'm surprised they haven't just let you rot in jail for the rest of your life, minor or not."

I've learned that with Betty, you need to butter her up to get her to shut up. Maybe she has a praise kink or something? "Yes Betty, I know, I would be screwed if it wasn't for you."

"I wouldn't be to sure about that Phoenix, the court and I have come up with a compromise. You'll be going to a military school." 

That caused me to falter. A military school, is she serious? Usual they just put me in juvie for a couple of weeks, months at worst, and then I'm out again. But a military school? Looks like those bigoted fools are finally fed up.

"I'm assuming I don't have a say in this?"

Betty sighed, "No, Mr. Marlot, you do not."