Chapter Thirty-One

When Chris didn't respond, I assumed he hadn't heard me and continued to change into my pyjamas from the edge of my bed. I didn't have the courage to ask it again, but I heard him shuffle in the hallway and then knock lightly on the door.

"Aubrey?"

"You can come in! I'm decent." I was still balanced on the edge of the bed when he opened the door and crossed the room to make sure I got into bed comfortably. He covered me with the duvet and kissed my forehead before answering the question I'd long ago hoped he forgot.

"Aubrey, I'm a one and done kinda guy. But I'd never expect anything of you that you didn't want to give."

"But you want kids." The obvious difficulty hangs in the air between us.

"I did. Do." He shrugged.

"You've always wanted to be a father and you'd give that up for me?"

"You're my wife, Aubrey. I have no intention of making you do anything you don't want to. Plus, I know you well enough to know if anyone tries to take away your agency, you'll let them know."

"That's probably true," I laughed. "I did force my way back into the office pretty easily."

"You can do anything you set your mind to. I'm sure of that."

I desperately wanted to repeat my question but my fear got the better of me and instead I asked, "Can I have some more medicine or has it not been long enough?"

"You can have some. I'll go get it for you." His voice is soft and gentle, low like the nurse who delivers the bad news.

I sat up slightly in bed to wait for his return. Curse my ankle not letting me pace yet again. My heart pounded in my ears while I waited. Am I strong enough to ask the question again? He won't make me do anything I don't want to do doesn't mean he'll stay with me, does it?

To think, only a few days before, I'd been emailing a lawyer finding out how to leave this marriage. It truly was amazing what closeness and acceptance could do for me if I'd only let it happen.

When Chris returned with my medicine, he made sure I took it and then picked up the glass to return it to the kitchen. I wanted to ask him to stay but I just couldn't do it. Resigned, I watched him cross the room and swing the door open.

Come back. He stopped walking as though frozen in time.

"Christopher? Are you all right?"

"I... want to tell you something," he said before leaving my room and turning into the hallway.

"Wait! What do you want to tell me? I can't walk, remember?"

My shouting was in vain because he was gone. Just like that. Who says they want to talk to someone and then just disappears?

I resigned myself to finding out in the morning and settled down into my pile of fluffy pillows. My eyes had drifted closed when I heard Chris step back into my room.

"Aubrey?"

"I'm up. What did you want to tell me?" Wow, very forward of you, Aubrey.

"I want you to know what you're getting into before I ask you--" He ran his hand through his hair.

I tried to acknowledge what he was saying, but nothing was coming out right, so I just stared at him and waited for him to continue.

"I don't know that 'friends' is exactly what's going to work. I mean, I don't think I can ever not treat you like my wife."

The alarm must show even through the darkness of my room because he adds, "Aubrey. Not like that," and shakes his head.

He paused to stand up and look at me before he continued. "I mean I don't know that I can live a life where we live together but don't hold hands or cuddle or go on dates or stumble into the woods together. I don't think I'm capable of being only your friend because I feel..."

"Like more than a friend?" I prompted, looking down at my own lap and willing the tears not to spill over. How much had I already hurt this man?

"Oh, I'm messing this whole thing up!" Chris ran his hand through his hair again.

"No." I smiled through the darkness. "You really aren't."

"What I'm trying to say is if you wanted, I'd like to keep things as they are. As they have been."

That's what I've been trying to say, too. I smiled to myself as he walked over to my side and placed a kiss on my temple. "I want you to have this." He handed me a piece of paper with a small note clipped to the front of it. Through the faint light of the window, I could just make out the words he had written. No matter what you decide.

I pulled the small note off to see the larger paper: the deed to our home in the city. I strained my eyes to read it more thoroughly and notice there is only my name on the deed. Oh, my God! He wasn't kidding. He actually gave me a whole house. No matter what I decide. How much does he know?

"I can't accept this." I pushed it back into his hand, as though that would change who owned the house. "It's... it's too much."

"It's not too much. And it's yours to do with as you please. I made it for you. I bought it for you. It's yours."

I didn't know what to say, so I just nodded into the darkness as he spoke. "I'll drive us back home after breakfast and then we can figure out what to do with the last Match Made task from there."

Before I had a second to think, not to mention respond, he got up and walked out the door without another word, closing it behind him.

How am I supposed to sleep now?