Chapter 4 - The Tests of Fate

Don't Ever Let Me Go (A Teen Pregnancy Story)

Chapter 4 - The Tests of Fate

"Caroline, are you okay?"

I looked up from my textbook, staring into Fern's concerned and somewhat confused face. "What?"

"Don't act stupid." She moved a little closer, whispering. It wasn't like Mrs. Grayne was going to hear her anyways. "You've been nervous all week, or something. You'll laugh at a joke and then you'll get this blank, terrified look on your face, as if you rem-"

"Ladies!" Her croaky voice unterrupted us.

"Sorry, Mrs. Grayne," I mumbled.

Fern waited a minute before leaning back in. "Anyways, something is up, and I want to know what it is."

Mrs. Grayne snapped again. "After class," Fern mouthed, and went back to her textbook.

I waited until it was over. The bell rang and everyone ran to their lockers to go home. Fern waited for me by the doorway. I guess taking as long as possible wasn't an option.

I swung my knapsack over my shoulder and made my way slowly to her. We started walking down the crowded hallways. We stopped at my locker first.

"Okay." Fern crossed her arms. "Spit it out."

"Spit what out?" I gave a fake laugh. "There's nothing wrong. I've just been tired this whole week."

"Bullshit. Come on. It's not like I'm going to tell anyone."

I looked her straight in the eye. "It's not that kind of secret, Fern."

She threw her arms up in the air. "Ah! Finally, she admits something. What do you mean, not that kind of secret?"

I dropped my binder in my locker, and faced her full on. "Are you free now?

"I just have to walk Bella, but I can come over in an hour," she answered.

"Okay. I'll see you then."

Fern threw me a last concerned look and walked away. God, this was not going to go well.

-------------------------------

She was absolutely silent as we walked through the aisle, looking for the box.

"That one," she said quietly, pointing to a white and blue one. I picked it off the shelf, inspecting it, my heart pounding.

"Okay." I gripped it tightly and we made our way to the front. Fern was holding the eyeliners.

Contrary to my fears, the lady who rang us in didn't ask. Her face betrayed nothing. I paid for everything and as soon as we were out, I threw the receipt in the trash.

We came home, and it was just us. My parents were still at work. Once upstairs, a bottle of water in my hand, we sat down on the bed. Fern faced me, her face serious.

"So you're still mad," I said.

"I'm not mad, Caroline. I'm just really, really worried. Now start drinking," she instructed.

I drank the entire bottle, and after awhile I really needed to pee.

"Save some of your pee!" Fern yelled as I went into the washroom. "You need to save up for another two."

If it had been any other situation, I would have laughed, but this was a little more serious.

I waited five minutes, and came out of the bathroom, relieved. "Negative."

"You have another two to go. Don't get too hopeful," she said wistfully.

The second one definitely got my hopes down. I showed Fern the two pink crosses. "It's positive," I squeaked. "Fern, oh my god, I'm pregnant."

"Chill, chill! You still have one more." But she looked worried.

The third one proved worth the wait. "Negative." I breathed a sigh of relief.

"So." Fern watched me as I collapsed on the bed beside her. "You're not pregnant."

"Which is good?" I said.

"Which is good." Fern nodded.

We sat there until she reminded me to get rid of the evidence. I hopped off the bed and threw it in a bag in the back of my closet. My mom never went there.

"Can you imagine what would have happened if...?"

"No." She lay down. "I don't want to."