The Bucket List

Part 1: Issues

I found them where we always sat, at the shadiest and sunniest table in the courtyard, depending on what you wanted. Half the table was always in shadow, the other half always bathed in sunlight. It was also far enough away from the other tables so that we weren’t bothered, but it was close enough so that everyone could see and hear us laughing. In short, it was our throne.

          You see, they called us the Seven Wonders. So maybe it was slightly cliché. Okay, so it was seriously cliché, and at times downright embarrassing. But so what? It also came with a lot of attention, and we’re talking high school here. For me, it was my kingdom.

          My kingdom that I shared with six others. Maybe I wasn’t the Queen, but I was pretty close to it. And that had always been good enough for me.

          “Mm-mm,” Carmen greeted me. Actually, she had her eyes trained on a cute, unsuspecting freshman lumbering by. “I just love a man in uniform,” she licked her lips appreciatively.

Typical Carmen. I was surprised that she hadn’t been forced to pull her shirt up and skirt down by now – she had hiked it up to reveal as much tanned skin as possible. Even now, she lazily crossed one toned leg over the other, making the navy skirt ride several inches higher up her thigh.

          Not that she wasn’t gorgeous – she was. She was one of the Seven, after all. But this was a Catholic school – you know: Faith, Hope, Charity and all that. This kind of behaviour isn’t tolerated here. It shouldn’t be, but Carmen has been dressing – or rather, undressing – this way for so long that it’s gotten a bother keeping her decent.

          Lacy rolled her eyes. “Carmen, please. Try to control yourself.”

          “That’s hard,” Carmen said absently.

          “You can do it,” Lacy said earnestly, in her sweet way, leaning forward. “Really, guys aren’t everything, and---”

          Carmen came back to us at that moment. “What are you talking about?”

          Lacy frowned. “What are you talking about?”

          “I was talking about my victim walking into a tree when he noticed me staring at him,” Carmen said with tremendous satisfaction. It never ceased to please her, the power she had over most of the male population at this school.

          I, of course, gave her a run for her – well, not money. She wasn’t that easy.

          “Oh, Carmen,” Lacy sighed, giving up on reforming the unrepentant sinner’s ways. But then her cute face brightened when she noticed I’d joined them. “Allie!”

          I smiled in response. Really, I loved Lacy. Like, a lot. And I’ll be the first to admit that my love and smiles are sometimes hard to come by. But she’s just so loving herself that it’s hard not to love her back. And she’s so gentle and harmless that everyone just naturally wants to protect her. My adorable kitten.

          But she’s a pretty kitten. Strawberry blonde hair and dark green eyes, accented with rose-pink lips. The colours on Lacy’s face are an odd combination, but she makes them beautiful together.

          Lacy’s beauty though, is different from Carmen’s. Carmen is bold and striking, with that classic Hispanic beauty – enormous dark eyes, long lashes, and wild black hair tumbling sexily over slender shoulders. That girl is gorgeous, and she knows it.