Part 1

"The trust's rules were set in stone by your grandfather, as you know. The 'chairperson' title and access to the trust funds are reserved only for blood-line relatives with offspring," Shanti warned, her eyes shifting suspiciously between her grandchildren.

As her grandmother spoke, Purvi scratched her temples and focused on mapping the room in her brain, rather than paying attention to her words. Her grandson, Adhrit, showed no interest with his eyes glued to his phone screen.

"Kaddu! Purvi! Do you want the hard earned money of your grandfather and father go to charity after my death?" she asked, through gritted teeth.

Purvi muttered audibly to her grandmother, "All that money, and we still can't make decisions about our own life." A snigger slipped through Adhrit's lips, which he covered up with a cough.

Shanti directed a displeased glare towards them. "Acting according to others' expectations might become necessary due to circumstances, and one cannot make every choice without considering anyone's emotions."

As she adjusted the pleats of her mauve silk saree, her eyes gleamed with determination. "Adhrit, I desire for you to tie the knot."

Adhrit tossed his phone onto the side of the couch and placed his outstretch arm behind the couch. He stated in a matter-of-fact tone that he had taken note but would not get married. "I've reached my limit with the toxicity created by marriages. You were perceptive enough to realize that Di and I wouldn't get married unless this clause was added, which is why you impelled Dadu to include it."

Her soft gaze softened as she reached out her wrinkled hand to touch his jaw.. Her touch poured out maternal affection, and his resolve weakened under the elixir his soul craved.

"God didn't create all marriages to fail, my son. He made some in the paradise. Just like my story with your grandfather. Marriage is not always a source of suffering for everyone. For some people, their best friends are found through the bond of marriage. You truly deserve happiness after all the hardships you've faced, my dear."

"It's not about my happiness, is it?" The resolve was further flickered by the silver lining and mirage of hope, but a sardonic smile appeared on his lips. "If it were only about me being happy, I would have a real say in this."

"Kaddu..."

"I must agree with you regarding the funds." His sarcastic smirk grew deeper as his grandmother's eyes widened in surprise at his statement that he didn't want his Dadu's or Di's hard work to be wasted..

"You made a wise choice, my dear. Do you have someone in your mind or do you want me to search for your bride?" she asked, caressing her grandson's cheek.

The glint in Adhrit's eyes as he took his grandmother's hand made her suspicions go wild. "There's no need to go searching for a bride, Dadi. We don't need a bride. It's a surrogate that we need. In order to fulfill my obligation, I need a surrogate to bear the heir."

The realization of Adhrit's strategy caused Shanti to quickly retract her hand with a shocked expression and widened eyes. "A surrogate? Are you out of your mind, Adhrit?"

With a dismissive glance, Adhrit shrugged his shoulders and turned away. "Being pragmatic is one of your qualities, Dadi. Take a broader approach to looking at the situation instead of having tunnel vision. I gave you the solution. I won't agree to any other except that one."

Upon receiving her cue, Purvi stepped up to support her brother. Dadi, Kaddu detests the notion of marriage but has to have an heir due to an absurd requirement in the inheritance. This approach will fulfill both conditions."

Shanti Sinha was nothing if not adept at sensing the atmosphere and understood that her grandchildren had besieged her with their unity. Her pale lips formed a tiny smile as she observed her grandchildren's strategic planning. If they could adapt to her style of play, she was willing to participate in their game.

"I can see your side, and I agree with both of you. But I have a condition. I will choose the surrogate."

The siblings looked at each other, surprised, and nodded yes. "Less work for me, Dadi. Go ahead," said Adhrit, relishing the taste of victory.

But Purvi could not ignore the uncanny smile on her grandmother's visage. She had strategized her next moves, and she could not help but wonder if they had walked right into her plan.

****

"Surrogate? Are you serious, bhaiyya?" asked Mitali. Her brother's revelation during their sudden meeting outside the call center made her forget how to breathe.

With a defeated huff, Anurag raked his fingers through his hair and tugged at it in exasperation. "It's better than what you searched for, Mitali. Organ donation? Seriously?"

She avoided his gaze and instead looked at her hands that were hanging limp in her lap. Her desperation had taken over completely and destitution ripped her to shreds like a pack of vicious piranhas.

"I expedited the process and it's imperative we get the money. We have less than two days left to repay the money," said Mitali, stifling her sobs under a sniffle.

"We received an offer from the heartless moneylender Vijay Singh. A family of means is seeking a surrogate for their son who is not married. His proposal involves waiving the interest and 20% of the principal if we agree. The family's offer is fifty lakhs," he said, avoiding eye contact with her.

The words of her brother rendered Mitali speechless. Despite being pulled towards the light at the tunnel's end, she couldn't ignore the abyss between it and her.

"Mitali, we'll have thirty lakhs to spare after getting our home back. Please."

Tears rolled out of tremulous eyes with reckless abandon as the dreams woven by the same eyes shattered against the last twig that could stop the apples of her eyes - her family - from drowning in the abyss of hopelessness.

"But... but, what about my marriage, bhaiyya?" She dug her nails into the back of her palms. "Agreeing to this means marriage will never happen for me."

Anurag's twisted lips let out a wry chuckle. "Marriage? Honestly, Mitali? Is your marriage more important to you than our dignity and home? Some gratitude!" he said, shaking his head in disbelief.

Gratitude was a trigger that caused the splinters of her broken dreams to prick at her conscience. It was impossible to fathom Anurag's reality, and the offer seemed like a ticket to heaven compared to the debt's strangulation.

"I'll do it. I'll be the surrogate they're looking for."

_________________________________________________

Two worlds, driven by gratitude, are about to collide. What do you think will happen when they meet? 

Disclaimer: The protagonists are flawed, and come with their own set of insecurities, priorities, strengths, and weakness. I based them on real people, and hence their actions are far from ideal.

Constructive criticism and suggestions is always welcome. But I request you to refrain from comments with veiled mockery, taunts, name-calling, and personal remarks. Those comments stay with me and haunt me for days, like most authors, and sometimes even nights. If you want to criticize a scene/action/sentence, please base your opinion in logic, because experiences and morality are subjective, and no one really likes to get called out on their experiences or morals.