CH. 22

TWENTY TWO:

Wednesday, February 22nd
7:35 AM

"Nik is demented!" Was the first thing I heard as I was descending the stairs. "Are we really to dig up our mother, burn her to ash, swap said ash with Kol's, and then trick Davina into using up her last chance to bring someone back from the dead? Not to mention we lose the opportunity to save Kol... if Davina doesn't turn us inside out!" Rebekah ranted.

"Or we dig a deep hole and leave both our problems at the bottom of it," Elijah grunted.

"I say we choose a more permanent option. Find the white oak stake, kill Klaus, Dahlia dies with him," Freya growled.

"Well, yeah, and so do I, and every other vampire that Klaus has turned!" Marcel interjected.

"And the fact that I'd kill you," I chimed in. Everyone turned to me then. I had my bookbag over one shoulder and Hope on my opposite hip. "Besides, as mad as you all are at him, you would never dare to actually kill him. But if you try to bury his body Elijah, I'll shove that blade back into your chest."

"The dagger!" Rebekah gasped before any of them addressed me rudely, per usual. We all looked over at the dagger in Klaus' chest. My jaw dropped, it was... melting. Maybe we didn't have as much time as Klaus and I had hoped when we discussed this devious plan. "It's bloody melting!" The blonde, back in her original body, stated the obvious.

Elijah sighed then, "We have no choice but to finish the task that Niklaus has set."

"Yes. And I have to get to school. So if someone can watch Hope until two thirty pm," I said.

Elijah glared at me, "Hayley could but... she's been turned into a beast as part of yours and Niklaus' plan. Remember?"

I scowled, "I didn't want that for her. However, it was that or Dahlia killing her. Besides, you know how Klaus' temper is. What other means of revenge was there?"

"She has a point," Marcel mumbled.

"So will you watch your niece, or not?" I snapped at Elijah. "I'm going to be late."

"I'll watch her," Freya said.

I narrowed my eyes, "If even one hair on her head is missing, I'll break every damn bone in your body."

She simply nodded. I handed her over reluctantly. I had to get to school. I figured they'd be able to watch her. Otherwise I would skip and stay home with her. On my way out, I shared hostile looks with Elijah and Rebekah. Hopefully the two imbeciles would manage to dig up their mother and swap her ashes for Davina's spell.

***

Wednesday, February 22nd
2:51 PM

"Klaus!" I screamed on instinct. I was barely into the compound where my boyfriend and Dahlia's bodies rested in the middle of the floor still, but disconcerting to me was Freya hovering over him with the white oak stake.

I was running forward to try to stop her. My eyes burning holes into her forehead as she ignored my presence. Just as I was close enough to see a hand grasp hers, pushing the stake away, I was tackling her off him. She fell with a loud groan, me on top of her. "You psycho," I sneered, snatching her greasy blonde hair in my left hand and about throw a punch with my right.

But a hand stopped me, grabbing my arm before I could swing. "Love," the soft British voice beckoned. "Let her go."

Slowly my entire body relaxed. I removed my hand from her tangled mess, letting her head thump on the ground. I climbed off her whilst my arm was still held, tugging me in the person's direction. My boyfriend's direction.