Thirty Seven

Maxine's POV

One week had passed.

As soon as I got home, I found my sister cooking something for dinner. I am comfortably sitting on the sofa while watching some movies, I am trying to relax and get her off my mind.

"How's your day at work sis?" My sister ask out of nowhere

"same as usual" I boringly replied

"so.." she start as she slowly sit beside me putting her shoulder beside the sofa, my sister is really pretty, I wonder why some guys could actually cheat with her. "hmm?"

"tell me something about this Ysabelle girl, will you?" she said while raising two eyebrows as if teasing me. And so I thought I am distracting myself not to think of her.

"You already know her. She's an intern at our company, she's beautiful and smart and cool to be with. She's.. her eyes are pretty, ghaad, she's just some intern okay?" I replied not knowing what to tell my sister.

"Why are you like that since she start working there then?"

"what do you mean?" I asked bewildered

"Am I the only one noticing this? I didn't even notice you this even when you're with Celine. You're to engrossed to go to work since then, you sing some random love songs or hum songs any minute which by the way I cringed then I would just see you smiling while you look lost in your thoughts. You often smile when you get back from work. And you know what's the biggest deal?" she said stating facts because I am doing those things since I met Ysabelle.

"What?"

"I saw your poems. You start writing again."

I looked at my sister silently. Realizing I've created poems again and she's always the subject of it. I smiled to myself.

"and that smile?" my sister said as she was smiling at me too.

"I'll figure it out sis."

" you better do. Come now, let's eat! I prepared Adobo and crispy pata."

"Wow! I am starving!" I hurriedly sit on the table, grabbed some plates and started digging in. My sister is a really good cook.

Well, Adobo is a Filipino dish. It is made by stewing meat (usually chicken, pork, or a combination of both) in soy sauce and vinegar, adding peppercorns and bay leaves for that special flavour. Bonus leftovers tip: pull the meat from the bone and fry 'til crispy for some tasty adobo flakes. The same as Crispy Pata, it's a dish that takes the entire pig leg and deep fries it to perfection. Serve with a soy-vinegar dipping sauce on the side with some chopped up garlic and chilli, and you're on the road to your next favourite guilty pleasure.

"These are so good sis" I mumbled

"I know right" she replied flipping her hair.

- - ----

After we ate, I decided to take go to my room and take a rest. I still have work tomorrow but it was still early.

I see my notebook beside my bed and opened it. There are many poems here that I wrote out of boredom back then and a few pages of the poem which is about Ysabelle. I smile, how can I not know that I am liking her. I am getting attach with her soul before I can touch her skin. Is this love? If this is not, then I don't know what it is.

I opened a site on the web and browse through some poems. I love reading and making poetry especially now that I already have my subject.

"ECHO" BY CAROL ANN DUFFY

I think I was searching for treasures or stones

in the clearest of pools

when your face...

when your face,

like the moon in a well

where I might wish...

might well wish

for the iced fire of your kiss;

only on water my lips, where your face...

where your face was reflected, lovely,

not really there when I turned

to look behind at the emptying air...

the emptying air.

I can see Ysabelle's face through darkness and the void, even without having the time to touch her face, the moments I feel around her is worthwhile. And i found a perfect poem for her.

She Walks In Beauty

By George Gordon Lord Byron

She walks in Beauty, like the night

Of cloudless climes and starry skies;

And all that's best of dark and bright

Meet in her aspect and her eyes:

Thus mellowed to that tender light

Which Heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,

Had half impaired the nameless grace

Which waves in every raven tress,

Or softly lightens o'er her face;

Where thoughts serenely sweet express,

How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,

So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,

The smiles that win, the tints that glow,

But tell of days in goodness spent,

A mind at peace with all below,

A heart whose love is innocent!

In the first two lines of She Walks In Beauty, he compares a woman's beauty and "nameless grace" to the equally mysterious night sky: "She walks in Beauty, like the night of cloudless climes and starry skies..."

The image of the cloudless sky suggests to the reader a woman's clear conscience and sincere love. These traits are later declared in the last two lines, "A mind at peace with all below, a heart whose love is innocent!" The message was so heart touching right? My intentions for Ysabelle are pure and innocent too, heck, I don't even plan anything else, but I may.

The poet also refers to the beauty within a woman: "...all that's best of dark and bright meet in her aspect and her eyes..." and to the sweet expression of her face reflecting the thoughts within, "where thoughts serenely sweet express, how pure how dear their dwelling-place." Like most women, the night has always had an alluring mystery.

I was sure, this ain't just a crush.