34.

Months of missions pass by. We travel seemingly endlessly. Many conversations consumed by their frustrations with not yet finding The Red Skull to take down.

When we get to the Alps, things are different. There's multiple bases here to take out. But they also plan for the most dangerous one yet, choosing to leave it for last before we go back to the SSR in England for some recouping. Bucky's nightmares continue to occur each night as the stress of the missions increase.

"This mission should only be for the night. I'll be back by lunch tomorrow, be ready for some love, this one should be the easy one." Bucky cups my cheeks. He tries to not stress waking up with a nightmare surrounded by the commandos. I know he'll opt out of sleeping to avoid that.

"As long as you come back to me, take as long as you need." I tell him as usual, while gazing into his stunning blue eyes that always hypnotize me. "My Blue Jay." I reference his radio call name.

"I'll always come back to you baby." He coos. "Together we'll hold the line. Even if we're apart." He kisses me softly. "Sweet Stiletto." He winks to my radio call.

They depart to a small village-like base shortly after nightfall. I don't rest knowing Bucky is at risk.  I stay up fiddling around with projects alongside Howard.

"He'll be fine Ellie." Howard says softly through the night. "He'd never pass up an opportunity to come back to you."

"Howard..." I sigh. "It's terrifying you know? Knowing he's out there and I have no control over what happens."

"Ellie, he's a smart guy. He'll be good and he's got Rogers to cover him. I'm worried about them too but I know they'll be okay." He hugs me. "That's why you're here under my watchful eye. So I've got one less person to worry about." He grins.

"Thanks Howard, what would I do without you?" I smile softly as he eases my mood.

"More like what would I do without you? I'd be a wreck, Elizabeth." He sighs. "I've decided you're not able to die, I'd be an absolute wreck." He chuckles.

"I'm just not able to Eh?" I laugh.

"Nope. This Kree, super hero thing you've got going on, has got to keep you around forever. So god forbid something happens, I'll never stop looking for you." He punches my shoulder teasingly.

"Well aren't you just the best friend anyone could ask for?" I smile. "When we all get home, would you walk me down the aisle? When Buck and I have a real wedding?"

He gulps heavily then turns his mouth back to a smile. "It would be my honour." He presses a chaste kiss to my forehead. "I told you, anything you need me to be, I will."

As I hug him I hear a crackle over the radio. "...DumDum to Stiletto... DumDum to Stiletto... do you copy?" I hear over the radio.

"Stiletto, we are on route to rendezvous. 4 men injured, non life threatening. I repeat we are on route to rendezvous with 4 men injured, non life threatening. Over."

"Stiletto to DumDum, we'll be ready. Over." I state. Buck, are you okay?

I'm fine doll. I'll see you soon. He keeps it brief. I love you.

When waiting for the men to return Howard keeps music playing while we set everything up for the injured men.

"I could get used to these Swiss winters!" He tells me as he admires the sound of the crisp breeze by the windows as snow falls outside.