Chapter 5

The blankets, pillows, and other niceties that Ruth had in her RV were welcomed in the cellar, and Erin only woke the group twice. Hannah slept more soundly than Ruth imagined, and the adults woke to whispered instructions from David to the younger children.

            "But they gotta sleep! Did you see that whole big mess out there? It's a lot biggerer and messier than we ever messed up our whole house! I'm gonna get some sandwiches out of the bag, and no griping about the crust; we can just put that part back in the bags."

            Hannah blew a raspberry and demanded, "Tars! Tars!"

            Sighing, David relented and grabbed the canister of star shaped snacks out of the diaper bag. He warned in a frustrated whisper, "One of these days you won't be so cute and I won't have to worry 'bout waking up mama, and I'm gonna swat your—your skirt!"

            Randy, who had roused first, chuckled at that as he sat up, and David immediately placed himself between his siblings and the officer. He squared his shoulders and informed Randy, "It ain't their fault you woke up. If you're gonna get somebody, you're gonna have to get me!"

            "Keep your voice down, kiddo. Let's let the ladies sleep, okay? Why don't the five of us head up the steps and see about getting you guys to a bathroom?" Randy offered, and David eyed the man wearily before finally nodding his head.

            Crossing the relatively small space, Randy scooped up Hannah before David could stop him, and he wrapped an arm around David's waist when the boy started hitting and kicking him. In a firm, no-nonsense tone, Randy ordered, "That's enough! I'm going to put you down, and you are not going to strike me again. Is that clear? Now stand still."

            David glared at Randy, and Ruth was on her feet to take care of the children before David's toes touched the floor. She caught the look of authority Randy shot her way and flinched back, bumping into Jessica, who hugged the petite woman to her chest.

            Randy crouched to David's level and demanded, "How well does your sister climb stairs?"

            The moment the fury left David's little body was easily seen, and he stared at the floor as he answered, "Mama says that we can't let her walk up the stairs. I was gonna carry her."

            Randy pressed on, "Do you think that a young boy like you can carry your wiggly sister up the stairs better than a grown-up police officer man?"

            "No, Sir," David muttered, and Randy crooked a finger under the boy's chin and locked eyes when he said, "I'm proud of you for looking out for your sister, but not all men are bad guys. Aren't you going to be a man someday?"

            David sniffed and nodded and Randy smiled, telling him, "You are going to be a good man when you're big, but for now, why don't you focus on being a good boy?"

            "I gotta keep them safe, Sir," David argued, but Randy just shook his head.

            Standing back up and taking Michael's hand, Randy told him, "Not here, you don't. That's my job and Ms. Lily's and Ms. Jessica's job too. You guys are going to be just fine here, and I don't want you worrying over it, okay?"

            Ruth found her breath and hurried after Randy, taking Hannah so that the officer could shove open the heavy door. He helped steady the children as they came out and took Hannah back from her mother before motioning for the others to come up. No one was going back to sleep anyway, and there was work to do.