Chapter Eight | Hide and Go Hug

"Jake! We're dividing into teams!" a magenta-haired girl called out to her oak-eyed friend.

"Oh, um, I'm good! I'm fine playing with anyone!" Jake called out in reply.

Giving the singer a small thumbs up in acknowledgment, Milly turned back to the rest of the participating club, and the energetic seven-year-old girl playing with them. "Okay, I guess we should start assigning teams then!"

"I don't really care who I'm playing with either," Luke proclaimed, brightly smiling.

"Me either," Sean chimed.

Wrapping her arms around the ebony-haired boy's waist, Bethany beamed, "I wanna be on a team with Sean!"

"That works!" Milly smiled, "Maybe I'll join you two!"

"Yeah!" Bethany laughed, happy to be playing with the two teenagers.

"I don't wanna be stuck with Jake," Zander grumbled, knowing what the remaining players would be if the before-mentioned team happened.

Cocking his head, Sean queried, "I thought you two were starting to get along a little more?"

"I tolerate him," Zander stated, showing apathy, "But putting us on the same team feels a little bit like a recipe for disaster. Why don't I just join Sean and Bethany's team, and then Milly can be paired with Jake and Luke? That should work well."

Teasingly sticking her tongue out, Bethany whined, "I don't wanna be on a team with you, Zander! You throw bad," immediately causing a trail of sputtering laughs to come from Milly, embarrassing and frustrating the pianist.

Face red, Zander countered, pointing a finger, "Hey, it's not like you're that much better!"

Eyes still closed from her fit of chuckles, Milly hardily laughed, "Yeah, well she's seven Zander!"

"Ugh! Fine! I'll team with Jake!" Zander shouted, wanting to end the topic, "But on one condition: you guys have to take the slanted cornhole board."

"What?" Milly asked, initially confused, then remembering and then faltering, "Oh yeah, right. One of them is missing a leg," she then sighed, "Ugh, fine. If that's what you need to stop being a baby about this."

Milly's comment rendering Zander not proud enough to reply, the teenage boy just pettily turned his head away, content with the outcome.

The sound of sneakers hitting grass blades nearing closer, a cheery voice called, "Hey, guys! I'm ready to play now!"

"Hi, Jake!" Milly greeted with a small wave, "You're gonna be on a team with Luke and Zander."

"Cool, I get to play with the not-a-couple," Jake grinned, turning to the two boys.

"Well, why don't we get started setting up?" Luke suggested, trying to move the activity forward.

"Yeah, that sounds good!" Sean agreed, "Hailey said the set should just be up at her parent's camp."

"Cool! Let's go!" Milly shouted, running off to the higher-up campsite, everyone else soon following.

~

Two cornhole boards now set up on opposing sides, two teams sitting with them, a fuchsia-haired girl shouted, "Do you guys finally know who's gonna throw first?!"

"Yes!" Luke cheerily replied, "I'll be the first throw!" Then continuing on his word, Luke bent down, picking up a small red tossing bag, their team's color. As he loosened his arm and stance, he slowly swung the bag back and forth, readying to throw. Just as he drew his arm back to launch, Milly suddenly shouted for him to stop, startling the drummer, causing him to drop the bag.